Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?

Hi folks

So, the latest problem with the wife's HHR is the power steering. I've read up on the known issues on here, checked the fuses and asked her (more like interrogated her ) to describe events in detail.

Here's what I know:
1 - Both of the power steering fuses are fine (and we've never jump started the car).
2 - When she starts the car, the power steering always works - every time.
3 - After between 30 seconds and 5 minutes of driving, the power steering cuts out and "Power Steering" shows in the DIC.
4 - If she stops the car, turns the engine off and back on again, the power steering starts working again. Every time. Then back to #3.

Here's what I think:
A - Clearly, whatever is wrong, the motor is not drawing sufficient overcurrent to blow the fuses.
B - I've read that the standard problem may be associated with the electric motor overheating. But I've confirmed with the wife that she has had extended periods of power steering after a failure and engine restart - which doesn't necessarily seem consistent with a heat issue to me.

Which brings me to my question: Does this sound like the standard electric motor failure to you folks, or does it sound more like a logic issue? I hate to think what the cost of replacing the computer might be, so I'm kind of hoping for it to be the motor.

OTOH, we do have one of those Progressive Snapshot devices installed, so I've asked her to remove that, the next time it occurs and to drive without it for either a couple of hours or until another failure occurs - whichever is first.

I'll report back on that last point when I have something to tell you, but in the meanwhile, I'd be grateful for any thoughts.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Founding Member

Bad motor.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with above.

You have the "text book" symptoms of a failing steering motor.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks folks. For the sake of completeness, I'll report that the wife tried removing the Snapshot device, but it made no difference.

I guess I'll order a new motor. At least the replacement process doesn't look too onerous.

The cheapest that I've found is part # 19257875 from GM Parts Direct, $60.95 plus $16.15 shipping. Does that sound right to you folks?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by roberttx
Thanks folks. For the sake of completeness, I'll report that the wife tried removing the Snapshot device, but it made no difference.

I guess I'll order a new motor. At least the replacement process doesn't look too onerous.

The cheapest that I've found is part # 19257875 from GM Parts Direct, $60.95 plus $16.15 shipping. Does that sound right to you folks?
You might check eBay and Amazon and rockauto.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You might check eBay and Amazon and rockauto.
Good idea. For comparison, ebay was $85 and I couldn't find it on Amazon or Rock Auto.

I did find a handy parts checker on GM Parts Giant. You paste in the part # and your VIN and it tells you if it's the right one.

So, I guess I'll buy it from GM Parts Direct and fit it at the same time as I replace the shifter.

I'll keep my receipts, in case of a recall and file complaints with the NTSB, in the hopes of increasing the chances.

I think it's very poor form of GM to pretend that the HHR doesn't exist and refuse to issue recalls that are clearly needed. I doubt that I'll ever buy another GM vehicle, if this is the way that it treats its customers.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 AM

This just started happening to my car yesterday, 07 HHR with about 63000 miles.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM

My dealership took care of me on my power steering troubles. I brought them the following info from this website. Maybe it will work for all who are having trouble. http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/rec...operative.html
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Dealer called me back and said it needs a new motor, but a note on the error code says that if it still doesn't work after a new power steering motor is put in then it needs a new steering column and instead of being $250ish it'll be closer to $1000.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jimpennjr
My dealership took care of me on my power steering troubles. I brought them the following info from this website. Maybe it will work for all who are having trouble. http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/rec...operative.html
Good luck and keep us posted.
There's also the HHR recall in Canada and the Cobalt recall in the US, for the same issue.

I guess it couldn't hurt to ask them for a freebie - the worst they can say is "no". I'll give them a call after the father in law comes round with his scanner and I know what codes it's throwing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?