Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Coolant drain/flush/refill

Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Coolant drain/flush/refill

Hi! I have a 2007 LS with a 2.2 liter engine. Can I drain, flush and refill the engine's cooling system or is this something that should be done by the chevy dealer?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Planning on doing mine this spring so I'll be interested to see if there is anything unusual when doing the HHR.

But to answer your question, it's usually a easy job to do.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Well I have worked for 5 different dealers in the past. only one of them had a flushing machine. It seems that most places ( not all ) just drain the coolant and refill the system. this only works if your changing the coolant before it gets ugly. antifreeze don't go bad it's the rust inhibiters that fails over time then corrosion sets in. I like to to least flush the system with a garden hose with the hoses off.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 AM

GM cars does have issues with Dexcool. I just recently did my 2000 Buick Century and it was pretty nasty. What we did was just a drain, and fill (w/ distilled water) and in the spring I will run a cleaner through it.

Car had 75k and is 11 years old so I guess I cant complain but at least we discovered the waterpump was going so it all worked out.

As for the HHR- Open Pet **** on the radiator, release cap, let drain more or less completely, then fill with coolant and distilled water mix, start car and let it work itself back in. I AM NOT SURE if there are bleeder screws on the thermostat housing but if it does you will be bleeding it that way. My LS1 did not have them but my 2000 Buick with a 3.1L v6 does. Go Fig.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

I did my S-10 every 5 yrs with Dex-Cool (as per schedule), & It always came out clean..

I guess it you go a lot longer, you get crud..
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
GM cars does have issues with Dexcool. I just recently did my 2000 Buick Century and it was pretty nasty. What we did was just a drain, and fill (w/ distilled water) and in the spring I will run a cleaner through it.

Car had 75k and is 11 years old so I guess I cant complain but at least we discovered the waterpump was going so it all worked out.

As for the HHR- Open Pet **** on the radiator, release cap, let drain more or less completely, then fill with coolant and distilled water mix, start car and let it work itself back in. I AM NOT SURE if there are bleeder screws on the thermostat housing but if it does you will be bleeding it that way. My LS1 did not have them but my 2000 Buick with a 3.1L v6 does. Go Fig.
Sounds like your car DOESN'T have a problem with Dexcool. It has A PROBLEM with lack of reasonable maintenance. But you qualified your statement in your next paragraph explaining the lack thereof.

Also, the GM cars having trouble with Dexcool has been remedied for a number of years now. New formulation for Dexcool and "gasket" material.

As others have stated, I also have used nothing but Dexcool in my vehicles for the past 15-17 years (I was a consumer test vehicle for the product), and have experienced absolutely no problems.

But to answer the OP's question.......

You can perform this service with a moderate amount of automotive ability. A few specialty tools help, but not necessary. However, even though I can perform this service, I will probably have the dealer perform it. I like the idea of the power flush (probably the only item that I prefer power flushed).
Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Do you have to buy Dex-cool at the dealer? Any time I go to Meijer or places like that, I just see the yellow Prestone stuff? Do I want to put that in my HHR, or leave it with Dex-cool?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Do you have to buy Dex-cool at the dealer? Any time I go to Meijer or places like that, I just see the yellow Prestone stuff? Do I want to put that in my HHR, or leave it with Dex-cool?
Advance sells it, I'm sure AUto Zone does also. Mine will get this done this spring, along with new shock/struts and battery (still ticking, but I know it's life is about over, lol).
Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Just wondering though, is there anything wrong with the Prestone stuff? We had to drain some antifreeze from the Lumina, and we replaced what we took out with Prestone. I'm pretty sure that car came with Dex-Cool, but the stuff that was in it was green. (Well brown since we added stopleak a few years ago...)
Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM

I have boughten Dex-cool at wally world before. The stuff I got was made by Prestone and it was in a grey/silver jug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant drain/flush/refill