Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Code P0016 Help Needed

Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 AM

Code P0016 Help Needed

Evan, I have a 2007 hhr LT1 with the 2.2 engine and my cel came on last week , I had a code reader come up with a p0016 code so I want to check the connector for the cam sensor but I'm not sure where it is. The car runs and shifts fine but I want to check it out before something goes wrong. There is another post with pictures that shows it on top of the engine under the air filter but there is nothing there on my car. can you tell me where it is located...TIA
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Remove the air cleaner assembly.
Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the intake camshaft position (CMP) sensor.

the cam sensor is located to the right of the fuel injectors.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM

cpcook,

I used the search engine and searched your code. This is the link I found:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=p0016+code

I hope this helps!

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Thanks Andyb and Evan for your quick response. I want to make sure it isn't loose, hopefully that all it is.

If I pull the ground off my battery should that turn of the CEL?

Heres a good tip for everyone looking for any kind of info;

I checked my library for a HHR repair manual but they didn't have one but they have Chiltons.com as one of the many programs you can access, so I logged in there and pulled the hhr repair manual up and within a minute I had the breakdown picture of the 2.2L with the Camsensor. Right where you said it was Andy..

The best thing is the gal gave me a broucher with all the programs they have and I can gain access to all of them from home just by using my library card number..
How sweet is that!!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Glad the library thing worked for you. But be a little careful and double check. I believe, someone posted the Chilton's Manual is a little inaccurate or maybe not very complete.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 AM

cpcook,

I'm glad you found the information you needed! Please keep us updated on how everything goes, thank you.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Originally Posted by cpcook
Thanks Andyb and Evan for your quick response. I want to make sure it isn't loose, hopefully that all it is.

If I pull the ground off my battery should that turn of the CEL?

Heres a good tip for everyone looking for any kind of info;

I checked my library for a HHR repair manual but they didn't have one but they have Chiltons.com as one of the many programs you can access, so I logged in there and pulled the hhr repair manual up and within a minute I had the breakdown picture of the 2.2L with the Camsensor. Right where you said it was Andy..

The best thing is the gal gave me a broucher with all the programs they have and I can gain access to all of them from home just by using my library card number..
How sweet is that!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 AM

Still having problems, I changed the cam sensor this weekend and disconnected the negative battery terminal for 10 secionds, the car started and ran normally but the cel was still on.

I drove the car all week with no issues until this morning, the car now idle jumps around when stopped or in park, it almost seems like it wants to stall. It drives fine after I hit the gas but I'm worried it will just get worse.

I'll stop at autozone at lunch to get the code reader on it but I'm thinking it might be the timing belt.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a good article on the P0016 code - http://www.obd-codes.com/p0016

FYI: the 2.2 has a cam CHAIN, not a belt.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks whopper.

The code reader still comes up with the p0016 code..

I'm thinking I need to put in a crank sensor now.

If the timing chain is the problem wouldn't the car run bad all the time??
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a thread about a 2008 SS owner with the P0016 code - it needed the cam chain tensioner and cam chain itself replaced (it was covered under warranty for him) - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=p0016

A crank sensor is still a possibility I suppose - if it isn't that many $'s it might be worth a try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code P0016 Help Needed