"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Door Panel Removal

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM

Door Panel Removal

I searched for tips on removing the door panels but failed to find anything. It looks like there was a post explaining it as there is reference to one but I cannot bring it up. Has anyone got an explanation of this procedure? Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Offy
I searched for tips on removing the door panels but failed to find anything. It looks like there was a post explaining it as there is reference to one but I cannot bring it up. Has anyone got an explanation of this procedure? Thanks

2007 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1607990
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement

Callout
Component Name

1 Front Side Door Armrest Pull Cup Liner

2 Front Side Door Armrest Pull Cup Screws (Qty: 2)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tighten
3 N·m (25 lb in)

3 Front Side Door Inside Handle Cover

4 Front Side Door Inside Handle Screw

Tighten
3 N·m (25 lb in)

5 Front Side Door Trim Panel

Tip

Remove Push-in retainer on trailing/back edge of the door trim panel.
Use a J 38778 Door Trim Pad Clip Remover to aid in the removal of the side door trim panel.
Disconnect the inside door handle linkage.

6 Door Trim Panel Retainer Clips (Qty: 9)

Tip
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Hope that pic is not too small. If it is I can email a word document to you. Send me a PM with email address.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM

I gave this a try today and couldnt get it off. I removed the 3 screws and push pin on the rear edge. I managed to pull the topmost clip out above the mirror mount, but as hard as I pulled, couldnt get any more unclipped.
Do I just pull the rest straight out? Is the panel hooked over the top edge by the window?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:50 PM

If you could forward me a larger drawing I would really appreciate it!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:19 PM

do you actually have to buy a clip remover??????? my speakers in the back stopped working and i im trying to twke the back door panels off but cant.....a 08 VW GTI is easier to get the doors panels off....no tool needed
Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Founding Member

A tool worth having. It also is a mean azz weed popper.

Name:  clip remover.jpg
Views: 12149
Size:  7.8 KB
Old 12-18-2009, 02:09 AM

You will need something to pry the door panel out a little until you can get your fingers under it. Once you get a hold of it, you can pull it off by hand, after removing the fasteners according to the diagram from ChevyMgr of course.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM
zip

I would suggest you pull open the snaps at the bottom and then undo the snaps up the sides. Once all the snaps are undone the panel lifts up. There are clips across the top that hook on to the door. As mentioned you may need something to pry the panel to get the first snap to open. I was able to get all the snaps to open without breaking any and I didn't have any special tool. I used a flat screw driver. It does take a fair amount of pressure.

Last edited by zip; 12-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Founding Member

Once you break the retaining area for door panel clips on the inside of the door panel, it can't be fixed. Now if you only break one, maybe no big deal. But if you break more you're are going to have a loose door panel that rattles.

If a dealer/repair shop did this, it would be posted that they are brainless twits, and everyone would jump on the bandwagon of slamming the dealer/repair shop for being idiots and unprofessional.

If you are going to work on a vehicle then buy the tools you need to do the job correctly.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 AM
zip

Here is a link to a little clearer picture.

http://www.justanswer.com/view_image...009_131004.jpg

You can purchase sets of retainer snaps on ebay fairly cheaply if you do break some. I'm not a mechanic I was just trying to help. I will not offer anymore advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Panel Removal