Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Required Engine Oil for 2011 GM Vehicles

Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Founding Member

Required Engine Oil for 2011 GM Vehicles

Date: 08/06/2010
Subject: dexos1™ Product Launch Program - Customer Care & Aftersales Bulletin CCA10-162

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, HUMMER and Pontiac (including MD)

DESCRIPTION:

Purpose:

The purpose of this bulletin is to advise GM Dealers of GM Customer Care and Aftersales’ (CCA) launch plan for dexos1™ Synthetic Blend oil. It is imperative that every GM Dealer develop a dexos1™ implementation plan and have dexos1™ product available as soon as possible.

Product:

dexos1™ is the required engine oil for all General Motors 2011 Model Year vehicles (Gasoline) and newer. dexos1™ is also compatible with all 2010 and older GM vehicles (Gasoline). dexos1™ is a Synthetic Blend oil and is being offered as an additional product to the current GM Oil Program.

dexos1™ Product Attributes over Conventional Oils:

ุ Improved engine cleanliness

ุ Additional wear protection

ุ Improved aeration control

ุ Improved corrosion protection

ุ Increased fuel economy

ุ Increased sludge control

Availability:

Production of dexos1™ for a Dealer's service needs is currently being focused on 55-gallon drums. Drums are expected to begin being delivered to Dealers in the September/October time frame. Quart size packaged product will be available later in the October/November time frame.

Branding:

dexos1™ products will be offered under the ACDelco Brand. In addition, packaged oil with the Goodwrench brand will be phased out and converted to the ACDelco brand over the coming months.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up, hadn't heard a thing about it.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM

Hmmm I assume GM will license this like Dextron? In other words Castorl and Mobil will offer this oil at some point in the future?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 PM

The latest formulation of Pennzoil Platinum is dexos1 approved.

Here is a link to the Press Release (PDF format).
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Hmmm I assume GM will license this like Dextron? In other words Castorl and Mobil will offer this oil at some point in the future?
Probably

Originally Posted by Black Rose
The latest formulation of Pennzoil Platinum is dexos1 approved.

Here is a link to the Press Release (PDF format).
There you go.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM

at 20.00 a quart I bet.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
at 20.00 a quart I bet.
Note they state a syn blend. This I feel is to keep the price down for the owners of the lower models but improve the oil with many of the properties of the sythetic oil but keeping the price down.

If they wanted too they could just dump Mobil one in everything if it were not for the cost. But that would be a hard sell to a Aveo owner or a 4 cyl Malibu LS owner.

Oils many years are updated and better rated just this time SYN has entered the picture to grab you attention. In the past it was just a two letter rating code.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Founding Member

My thought is this. Their OLF system isn't working as well as they thought it would. We are having oil related problems on 4 cylinder (cam phasers), 6 cylinder (timing chains) and 8 cylinder (oil rings & pistons) engines, but not the ones using Mobil 1.

Dealers are doing more repairs due to internally oil components failing. And there is always that 100K warranty that is costing GM money on these repairs.

So why not require a blended oil to help protect their engines from costly down the road powertrain repairs. The consumer will pay for the protection.

Since 2002 I have changed my oil every 5K with conventional oil and have never had a problem. I don't believe that going 8K-14K between oil changes is good for an engine.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM
RFT

Mgr,

Not trying to hijack the thead..
Just doing some quick research - it appears this will replace the 4718M spec. Do you think this will void the warranty if it is used in vehicles that use the 4718M?

Rob
Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 PM

I had heard it was going to be 0W-30. Maybe just in Canada.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Required Engine Oil for 2011 GM Vehicles