Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

front-end clunk/rattle

Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Exclamation front-end clunk/rattle

I just e-mailed the serv. dept. from the dealer where I purchased my HHR. I told them everything that all of you recommended for resolving this issue. They had replaced the front wheel bearing, & the lower steering shaft. Now I told them to let me know if they plan to do something else because it Has to be something more than the 'dash rattle'. I have had different people riding with me, & they said it sounded like it was Under the car more than inside the dash. I explained to them I was chatting on here & Many have had the same problems. I suggested that they may want to look at the sway bar bushings & the sway bar end links. (which seemed to be the majority of feed-back solutions.) I told them it should still be covered because the serv. dept. didn't quite fix the problem of the clunk/rattle they say is the dash, because it should still be part of the original work order to fix the issue. (I also had a grinding-type thump sound which they said was the wheel bearing that was replaced, resolving That sound.) They claimed to have tightened-up all the mechanics underneath which Should have Stopped any 'ratteling' type sound left over. We will see what They have to say when/if they e-mail me back a responce. I want to also Thank All of you who offered their suggestions & experiences. That was Gratefully Appreciated! I'm Glad to have you all here when I need to ask a question.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Angry

Just recieved a response to the e-mail I sent to the dealer where I got my HHR. The General Manager told me that they fixed 'SOME' of the issues, & that the "intermittant noise" "appeared" to be coming from the dash. Didn't even say, "Well, bring it in & we will check it out." Even though by what some of you posted would be an easy 'look' or even a 'fix' to what most of you had said was the problem when you had the same 'clunk/rattle' sound. I sent him a reply giving him MY Opinion of what I think of what he thinks. Well, I guess I will have to check those things out myself, but when I do, IF IT IS WHAT I TOLD THEM, I DARN SURE WILL TAKE THE OLD PARTS IN TO SHOW THEM JUST WHO WAS RIGHT! All you guys that said the same thing,& was right, 'Must Be Wrong', According to this dealership. Maybe I Am wrong, It May be something else that is driving me looney, but it all sounds like what you have experienced Is the Very Same I am experiencing. At least you said that those were rather easy & inexpensive to fix.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

maybe try another dealer ..
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 AM

But This is the one I bought the car at, I figure they Owe me the 'service' on the vehicle They sold me. If they are to fix it for nothing, I won't give up on trying to have the issue resolved until they Really P!$$ me off.
That will be plan "B" though, That way I Will have it taken care of.
P.S. I Bought my HHR at a Ford Dealer, Think That makes a difference? (Probably!)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Not to upset anyone that may work for/at a Chevy dealer, but from my experiences, you have a 50/50 shot of having a better experience at a Chevy dealer. That said, it may be worth your while to talk to the GM and the Services Manager together about this. And mention that since they're a Ford shop, maybe they should work with a local Chevy dealer to rectify this.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 AM

Smile

That is a Good Idea. But I called the Local Chevy Dealer & asked them what the problem is that causes the noise/s in the HHR's, The Service Manager told me he knows Nothing about such a thing & could Not find Any comments or complaints Ever being reported. I was on the phone for about 5 minutes while he 'looked' up information while he denied Any Knowledge of such a concern. I Told him to just forget it, He Obviously just pushes the pencil & collects the payments, & Does No Work on vehicles Himself, because I Know There Are Reports Made of This type of concern. He wasn't too happy, but then again, Neither was I! I said I thought They Should at Least Know about the Brand vehicles they sell! So, even If I had gotten my HHR at That Chevy Dealership, I would Still be in the Same predicament as I am now. (Please Don't Get Me Wrong, I Am Not Saying All Dealerships have unknowledgeable Workers, but I Have the Luck to Find ALL the ones that DO.) So to get back to your suggestion, That Sounds Good, BUT I Need to Find A Chevy Dealer that Has someone that Can talk Shop with This Ford Dealer, or Maybe educate Each Other on How to Fix/Repair Vehicles, In General. I Do Appreciate Your Suggestion, & Thank You for Offering Your Opinion.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM

I have a 2006 1LT with the same clunk sound when going over even small bumps in the left front driver area.

Had new struts and shocks installed ($800) and while it needed them (50K miles) the noise is still there.

We also have a 2010 1LT and so far no issues with that one (10K miles). At least I know there is nothing mechanically wrong, but the noise is irritating.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Smile

I Have tried Everything to fix it, Yes it Is irratating & Annoying, but If it is nothing mechanical, just maniacial, then I Will Learn to Ride with that 'little gremlin' riding with me banging his tune on the front end.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Just want to make sure that you have also had the end links replaced. A popular replacement part on these forums are the Moog #K750012 end links with zerk(grease) fittings.

Howto starts on page 2 at post #13
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=30205&page=2

Also, after some interesting reading, it may be that the swaybar bushings need to be replaced. Not a terribly difficult job but not easy and not for the timid.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm Not Very mechanically inclined to attempt tearing apart & trying to put parts back together, So I had My mechanic give it a 'once-over' & he said that those looked to be ok, & didn't Seem to be the problem. I Am going to have Another look at those, just to make sure Nothing was overlooked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front-end clunk/rattle