General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Does my HHR have traction control ...

Old 07-21-2006, 08:03 PM

Question Does my HHR have traction control ...

...even if it's not listed on the window sticker? Page 3-34 in the owner's manual says this about the Enhanced Traction System Warning Light: "If your vehicle is equipped with the Enhanced Traction Control, this warning light should come on come on briefly as you start the engine. It does. The manual doesn't say if you don't have ETC it will still come on. There do not seem to be any "buts" involved; if the car has ETC, the light comes on. This implies that if the car does not have ETC, the light won't come on.

The manual goes into greater detail on page 4-10 (forgive me if I'm repeating what you already know). And nowhere does it mention what happens if the car doesn't have it. It does say "If you turn the system off by moving the shift lever to LOW, the warning light will come on and stay on." It does. The book continues, "The warning light will come on when you set your parking brake with the engine running ...." It does.

I was under the impression traction control is an option, not standard. The window sticker from my wife's HHR lists traction control. My sticker doesn't. Am I missing something? Is the manual wrong? Did the factory goof? Did the dealer give me the wrong window sticker? Am I having a "Doh!" moment?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Founding Member

wrong window sticker? ... you might want to check your VIN on dash of your HHR vs it's window sticker!
I read that by law, the customer is to remove the window sticker unless the purchaser requests the dealer remove it.

now back to our regularly scheduled thread!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM

The way I understand by way of the Chevy web site: It's an option available with ABS only on automatic equipped models. You can have ABS on manual equipped models but without ETC.

I think you have it. If I read correctly somewhere, there is a decal on the inside of the glove box lid, that lists the option codes for your particular vehicle Look for JM4 which is the code for ABS.

Hope that helps some...
Old 07-21-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
The way I understand by way of the Chevy web site: It's an option available with ABS only on automatic equipped models. You can have ABS on manual equipped models but without ETC.

I think you have it. If I read correctly somewhere, there is a decal on the inside of the glove box lid, that lists the option codes for your particular vehicle Look for JM4 which is the code for ABS.

Hope that helps some...
Bingo! Thanks, Grumpee - JM4 it is! That, and it was a Doh! moment. It's not on the sticker for my wife's car either. When she ordered it, the saleswoman gave her a printout of all the stuff it had. That's what I was remembering when I said her sticker showed it. I just looked again at her sticker and realized where I screwed up.

(Edited to add:) I must have brain cells dropping left and right. It just dawned on me you said JM4 was the code for ABS, not ETC. Is it an option with ABS, as in you have to specifically order it and pay for it, or is it part of the ABS option? IOW, any HHR with automatic that has ABS will also have ETC? Sorry for the befuddlement. My only excuse is the voices are not talking in unison tonight. (End edit)

My salesman told me it didn't have ETC. Another one at a different dealer said ETC was only active in low gear.

Last edited by Whichfinger; 07-21-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Whichfinger

At the Chevy website: http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/features/
Clicked on the Enhanced Traction Control link and got copied this...

"This system utilizes electronic controls to help reduce front-wheel spin when you’re driving on most slippery surfaces. When sensors determine one or both front wheels have low traction, engine power is reduced to limit wheel slippage. It’s included and only available with four-wheel antilock brakes and automatic transmission."

When you start your auto equipped car when the ETC/ABS lights come on momentarily, this means the diagnostics did a momentary quick test of the ETC and ABS subsystems...you have it!

But it might help further if a member of this forum might know if there is a separate RPO code for ETC?

P.S. Your Avatar reminds me of Ernest Hemingway..but is probably a photoshopped picture of yourself?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Whichfinger

At the Chevy website: http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr/features/
Clicked on the Enhanced Traction Control link and got copied this...

"This system utilizes electronic controls to help reduce front-wheel spin when you’re driving on most slippery surfaces. When sensors determine one or both front wheels have low traction, engine power is reduced to limit wheel slippage. It’s included and only available with four-wheel antilock brakes and automatic transmission."
Yeah, my wife was browsing the HHR brochure last night and she tripped over a fine-print footnote pointing that out. Like I said, too many synapses shorted out.

P.S. Your Avatar reminds me of Ernest Hemingway..but is probably a photoshopped picture of yourself?
'tis me, and I'll take that as a compliment - just don't start referring to me as "Papa." I'm too cheap to buy Photoshop. I did the avatar with Irfanview.

Don
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM

I have photoshop on the home PC plus Irfanview on a USB KEY. It's a nice piece of freeware.

Ciao