Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR Freezing up :(

Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 PM

HHR Freezing up :(

Hello...I am new to this forum and am really hoping someone can give me some advice on a BIG issue I am having with my 2008 HHR LS. I bought it brand new..and I live in Ontario Canada. We get a LOT of snow and freezing weather here. My front doors freeze shut solid.

The doors actually bent...when opening them from the build up of ice in the hinge area. Warranty covered it last year...and it was great ..till this year...did it again..and again they are going to cover the work. However...I have a feeling it will snow again next year...so (warranty will be done by then)I will likely need to have it done again and again and again..etc. Does anyone have a fix for this????

How ridiculous is it that a car is designed like that then sold in a place where snow is so predominant??? GM said they will have it fixed for me over the next month or so...but I would rather ...a real fix..if someone can suggest one.

They did say at customer service that there is no fix...but if one comes along..they would let me know. I love this car ..but this is a serious design flaw that needs to be addressed. Would be forever grateful if I could get some input. I would love to be able to make a suggestion..to the body guys when I take it in..I wonder if some sort of drainage could be drilled in the running board(just under the door where the water/snow builds up and freezes). Or perhaps looking at the weather stripping in the windshield area(which stops right above where it seems to freeze)...could be extended so any moisture doesn't fall into that area and freeze.

Ideally a warm cozy garage would be the answer...but I don't have one...So an actual fix would be AWESOME Thanks Margo
Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Welcome Margo. That is a good one, I have had mine freeze closed when I washed it right before the temp dropped. I didn't have trouble when I was up there in the great white north, Edmonton at Christmas time.....but my Sister in-law gave me a spot in the garage to park, pretty sure it was still below freezing even in the garage. Must be some Canadian owners who have some pointers for you, maybe they will be along soon.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Try spraying some silicone spray on the seals and locks.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Try spraying some silicone spray on the seals and locks.
Thanks..that may eliminate..the icicles..that stick to the hinge area...but not the actual pooling and freezing of water\snow that is doing the damage to the corner of the leading edge of the door..
Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

How about a cover, kinda mini garage, when its nasty out ??
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
How about a cover, kinda mini garage, when its nasty out ??
Also something I have thought about..but not the most practical. I would need to remove any moisture in each door before covering...and any residual moisture slush/snow...that creeps down after covering would then freeze in the same area. Not to mention..when it is snowing and blowing here...covering the car would be really tough to do.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

hmm i live about 40mins from barrie and i dont have this problem..try the silicone spray as stated previously...maybe try spraying the car with Krown rustproofing before winter starts....maybe a drainage hole is blocked and alowing the water to stay in there?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Really....40 min from Barrie..interesting. So are you saying after a good snow...and freezing temps...your doors open all the way...without hitting any kind of icy build up in the corner of the leading edge of the door??What is more interesting is...there are no drainage holes on my car(where..really I think there should be). When I open either door..and follow the running board right into the problem corner,it seems to drop down just a tiny bit...leaving an ideal spot for liquid,slush to settle and freeze. Should there be a drainage hole there?? My HHR is a 2008...do other models years have some type of drainage hole there?? Also...when you open your door fully do you se the grey insulation in the wheel well engine area. I have always found it strange that mine is not covered...
Thnaks for all the input so far...keep the ideas comin'
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

ya im in brampton/mississauga and i have an 08 also. always parked outside...no matter what temperature of precipitation mine opens no problem..but then again i use Krown every year also. Im at work tonight so if I get a chance ill go take a look at my doors for this insulation your talking about because i dont think mine is exposed but ill take a look..im not too sure now about the drainage holes on the door, might be the plastic tube at the hinge that might be the drainage - cant remember now
Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Mine has done this..snow melts on the warmer body and settles on top of the seals and refreezes..this in effect creates an ice bridge between the body and door frame..think of how glue works. No cure..I have remote start, works great..only way is to cover it,,throw a towel on it night before..as far as hinges..could zip tie a piece or rubber on top so any moisture rolls to the sides..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR Freezing up :(