Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Proper Rear Drum Brake Adjustment Procedure

Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM

Proper Rear Drum Brake Adjustment Procedure

I know many of you have adjusted you're rear drum brakes to the correct spec. My question, can you post a set of instructions on how you did it? i am always confused on exactly how much drag is the correct amount and do you adjust the brakes with the wheel on or just the brake drum? I am sure many people could use this information. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Deceased

Here's a link to a good video tutorial on replacing and adjusting the rear brakes on an HHR. Just click the link below for the YouTube video, its about 9 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7Hg4sSqmY
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM

To skip the video:
Adjust each star wheel until you get 2 spins of the wheel before it stops, with the rim/tire bolted on and you trying as hard as you can to give it a spin. I followed this and achieved much better overall braking. I found on mine that I had to do the last 3-4 clicks through the access hole on the backing plate using a screwdriver (GM made an oopsie and made the access hole too small for the commonly available starwheel tool to fit in and contact the teeth) because if you fully adjust them you wont be able to push the drums overtop of the shoes back onto the car.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the tips, I did exactly what the previous post said and the brakes fell much better and my parking brake actually works now. My brakes were so far off that I couldn't believe it! Do you recommend checking every 5,000 miles or so as it seems these brakes lose adjustment?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Deceased

Every 5,000 miles, or at every tire rotation, and you'll keep your brakes happy and healthy.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
Every 5,000 miles, or at every tire rotation, and you'll keep your brakes happy and healthy.
X 2, I adjust mine up till they lightly sprag, then back em off 1 click.. Too much sprag is just a waste of brake lining.. Helps on gas mileage also..
Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by barfan1
Thanks for the tips, I did exactly what the previous post said and the brakes fell much better and my parking brake actually works now. My brakes were so far off that I couldn't believe it! Do you recommend checking every 5,000 miles or so as it seems these brakes lose adjustment?
Easiest way is to go by the parking brake lever. When I've just done mine it takes 2 clicks to work, maybe 3. When it takes 4-5 clicks of the handle to work you should think about readjusting the starwheels again. Its a shame they don't self adjust like they should.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by pessimism
Easiest way is to go by the parking brake lever. When I've just done mine it takes 2 clicks to work, maybe 3. When it takes 4-5 clicks of the handle to work you should think about readjusting the starwheels again. Its a shame they don't self adjust like they should.
Doesn't moving in reverse and applying the brakes self adjust them?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Doesn't moving in reverse and applying the brakes self adjust them?
Ideally yes. But we are talking HHR here.. Many don't seem to self adjust as they should..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by sleeper
Ideally yes. But we are talking HHR here.. Many don't seem to self adjust as they should..
Actually not an HHR problem it's an American engineering problem. You need to have most of the weight (and a lot of it) in the rear, like a rear wheel drive 60's-70's road cruiser, and have them adjusted correctly in the beginning to stand a chance of having them adjust themselves.

The way they are supposed to work: When you back up and apply the brakes the rear shoe is supposed to be pulled down, thus levering the adjuster up on the star. But, with front disk brakes and weight distribution of front wheel drive cars the rear drums don't engage the shoes enough to do the job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proper Rear Drum Brake Adjustment Procedure