Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

fuel gauge - died.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
geg

fuel gauge - died.

two days ago, fuel gauge started to go crazy. Arrow dropped to zero, then rises up. Today, fuel gauge died.
I called diagnostician, a question - diagnosis, if possible.
Diagnostician, said:
Problem widespread, in the fuel tank - float. This float is rigidly connected to the rheostat. In other words, the float scratching some PCB when moving up - down. Over time, wear an electronic board. Fuel gauge does not receive the signal and dies.
I need to buy this PCB or I do not know the name. I Ordered will be in the U.S. or Canada - in Russia it no.
Guys! Recommend seller. I want to pay through Paypal.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 AM

I would try ebay. sounds like you need a fuel sending unit. It may only come with the fuel pump not sure
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Lucky
I would try ebay. sounds like you need a fuel sending unit. It may only come with the fuel pump not sure
I look at Ebay.
I'm afraid you're right. Big money - I'm not ready.
Perhaps there is a seller of Electrical components. You have the information?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM

From what ive seen its GM part Number: 15293416

Cost is anywhere from $50-$75 USD
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

heres one on ebay it looks like you can get just the sending unit. 270692927247 also gm parts direct has them for 45.44
Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM

Let us know if you have problems with shipping. I know I'll try to help if I can.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 PM

This is probably not the answer, but have you tried using and additive in your gasoline? On many tanks the sending unit builds up a laquer like substance on the unit which keeps it from moving up and down. Just used in on my GMC Safari and it now works just fine. Many auto parts stores sell this in the US for about $7-10 a bottle.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM

I found a cross number of P/N 19168519 if that helps you
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM

before doing anything, check the connector on the tank first..you have alot of exposed area in the back and it would be easy for some trash to knock something loose......
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
geg

PhoS, stephenm and Lucky - thank you for help!
Gas Man - loyal friend. I will definitely take advantage of your offer. I'll do it as often as you can only stand me. Spare parts - my weak spot. Thank you very much.
AJochum - valuable information. If possible, detail. Title, etc. Thank you.
IgottaWoody - valuable advice. I have not thought of. You're experienced. Thank you.

Continuation of the story.
I do not know how to interpret it.
And so.
After my post (posted in the office) I started the engine. Turned on the error.
I tensed up.
I called the diagnosis and reported the incident. I asked - car computer responds to the level sensor malfunction? The answer - no! Come to the repair shop, will looking!
I'm hot!
Three hours ago I arrived at the repair shop. Trying to diagnose. Failure - engine control module is not available.
Question: a possible cause? Answer: The module was dead! if you're lucky - died only electric wire!
Fu**ing mom! from the calculation of future costs of brain swelled and boiled.
I say diagnostician: "Vova! Crashed into a flat cake, but find the cause and manner of cheap repair!" Vova sends me to the dick and tells me that such work requires money and time = 1 day + 3000 rubles. And all this - no earlier than the medium. And if the module is dead - even 1 month for delivery + 2000 rubles. The price of the module it is not known, but not less than 10,000 rubles.
We were busy for another 30 minutes. The result stunned. Vova unhooked wires and connectors are processed fluid WD-40 and compressed air. After this procedure, a module found! Diagnostic computer to communicate with the module and determine the error code! Error - Faulty Level sensor.
But that's not all. Level sensor is awake! As if nothing had happened!

Here are my thoughts:
Twice I was forced to buy gasoline at the gas station unknown. Maybe gasoline was diluted with water - do not be surprised, but in Russia it can do. Now the weather is very cold. Bitter cold - even gear oil freezes. I think the float was formed ice and blocked the sensor. Lock the sensor triggers an error module. And the contacts are acidified long ago - the snow and temperature changes.
I will monitor the situation until Wednesday. If I am wrong in my calculations, GasMan - I'll turn to you for help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel gauge - died.