"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Keyfob cold solder repair

Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 AM

Keyfob cold solder repair

My wife's keyfob wasn't working so I figured I change the battery. Step one is to pry the clam shell apart.

And much to my surprise (NOT) the battery holder was suffering from the often reported bad solder connections.

OK, fire up the soldering iron.

There are three solder points to repair. The center one is surface mount, and the two outer ones have feed-through holes. Make sure to fully seat the battery holder down in them.

After repairing my wife's keyfob, I decided to check mine. Unbelievable lack of quality control on these things. While the electrical connection had not (yet) broken, the battery clip wasn't even level with the PCB. GM should really be ashamed of themselves for this part.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff®
GM should really be ashamed of themselves for this part.
GM doesn't make this part, they buy them from a supplier. Crack open fobs from other manufacturers and they'll be much the same. You could have just taken it back to the dealer and they would have given you a new fob, just like every other manufacturer.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Founding Member

Jeff, I thought this was a nice HOW TO, so I moved it to that forum. Thanks for the detailed explanation of the repair.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 AM

thanks for the how to great pics
Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
GM doesn't make this part, they buy them from a supplier. Crack open fobs from other manufacturers and they'll be much the same. You could have just taken it back to the dealer and they would have given you a new fob, just like every other manufacturer.
Yes, I know they get it from a supplier, but ultimately they are responsible for what they deliver to the customer. In any case, my soldering skills are as good as anyone's although I seldom do it anymore. I fear going to the dealer would be a waste of valuable time and I would just as likely get another one doomed to fail. Ain't gonna fail now.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM

same thing happened to my fob, but the board was cracked. $65 for a new fob and $30 to program it. i only paid the programing cause my samesman is awesome and gave me the fob for free.

if my new does this ill be solderng it.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM

I also liked the post.

Not all of us have easy access to the dealer. My dealer is 5 hours away and my ability to do simple repairs is paramount to both my life's enjoyment and time. Warranty is not the deciding factor to me - time, convenience and money is. Good Jeff!

I do agree with the general statement about the poor construction of FOBs. I have had solder connection problems with whatever vehicle/alarm FOB I have had.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Key fob

I found the same problem and fixed it myself also. Just about bought a new one, thankfully I didn't. So many of these problems are poor quality control. Now I'm having a squeal in the fan motor under the dash. Has any one gotten in to that?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:13 PM

Jeff, this is a great write up with great pics. Very helpful to anyone who wants to do the repair themselves.
Also, we now all know that the replacement battery is a CR2032
Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM

this awesome!

mine recently quit working and i have strong feeling this will fix it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyfob cold solder repair