Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Key won't come out of ignition at times

Old 05-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Key won't come out of ignition at times

My key is getting stuck in my 2007 Chevrolet HHR LT and I'm thinking it has to do something with the electrical work on it. Like it'll randomly come out sometimes, but most of the time it won't come out at all. Before we were having to hold the break, put it in reverse, then wait a second, and then put it in park real fast and pull the key out real fast and it would actually come out but we figured we shouldn't do that anymore since that might make the problem worse. But can anyone give me a electrical schematic that's detailed enough to figure out this problem or maybe just give me some kind of hint of what it could be??? Also, at the same time the gear started getting stuck when trying to put it in reverse and we had to turn off the car and turn it back on to get it to go in reverse but that problem was really a random problem and didn't seem to happen that much compared to the key problem that pretty much always happens. I wasn't sure if these 2 problems might coincide with each other or something?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Founding Member

You either have a problem with the shifter assembly or the ignition switch. What type of electrical work are you saying has been done to the vehicle?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM

It was a recall on some of the earlier versions HHRs. Mine went back to the dealer for the fix.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
You either have a problem with the shifter assembly or the ignition switch. What type of electrical work are you saying has been done to the vehicle?
Well as far as electrical work done on it, nothing has been messed with since we bought it when it had 26K miles on it (it has 59K now). But I was asking for the electrical schematics because alot of the mechanics I asked that looked at it said it probably has to due with something in the electrical work like a bad solenoid or loose wiring, no one has told me the ignition switch though since it starts and shuts off fine. Do you know how you could troubleshoot it at all?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by chevyguy2007
Well as far as electrical work done on it, nothing has been messed with since we bought it when it had 26K miles on it (it has 59K now). But I was asking for the electrical schematics because alot of the mechanics I asked that looked at it said it probably has to due with something in the electrical work like a bad solenoid or loose wiring, no one has told me the ignition switch though since it starts and shuts off fine. Do you know how you could troubleshoot it at all?
Do a search on the forum. It is most likely the shifter. There is a pin that pops out of place and prevents the solenoid from realizing that it is properly in park. And then you are unable to get the key out. A Chevy dealer would probably be able to troubleshoot it very quickly as they would have seen it before. but possibly some independent garages haven't had to repair many of them yet. If you are mechanically inclined you could probably replace it yourself, but a dealer should have no problem troubleshooting it for you.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Ignition won't turn off

On my 2006 LS, I can turn the car off, but the cylinder won't go back far enough to take the key out. I read somewhere on this forum about taking a small cover off of the bottom of the steering column close to the steering wheel, and from there a person can access the lock to let the cylinder turn back all the way to take out the key.

Now what should I look for first? To see if there is power going up there to release the lock, or do you have to change the whole ignition assembly to fix the problem? Does it have anything to do with the BCM?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 AM

It's fixed

Well, found out that there is a micro-switch on the passenger side of the shifter that actuates the solenoid in the steering column to turn the lock cylinder back enough to take out the key. Ended adjusting the arm and position of the switch to make sure it activates all the time. All that was involved was just taking out the shifter, a little file job on the shifter housing, and a machine screw and nut and washers to make it stay in position after all is said and done!!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM

we got a 2006 hhr yesterday at work...i told them to go back to the dealer and get this issue fixed...but i did show them how to get the key out...told them about the recall and they were very pleased and went to the dealer...