2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

GForce Chips

Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 PM

GForce Chips

has anyone here treid these yet on the HHR?
We bought one for my sons Ram with a Hemi engine, he says he gained 160 miles on a tank of gas, & was pulling harder on take off's.
So was thinking about putting one on my HHR was wondering if maybe some one here had put one on theres and what kind of gains they got.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

No experience with them. But without doing any research on the product, I would be concerned about them using the term, "chips". Our cars will NOT allow the replacement of chips. However, the ECU CAN be reprogrammed to provide better power and fuel mileage. Several vendors, that provide this service, are sponsors of this forum. To locate them, click on the small black print, "Supporting Vendor List" located in the middle of this page...about an inch and a half form the top.

Oh, I did locate some info from the GF website. Their product is stated as a "plug-in" with 2 small wires. The members on this forum have discussed this type of product before....WITHOUT much appreciation.

You might want to check this website also. Can't verify the accuracy, however.

http://www.carperformancechipreviews.com/
Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM

They are not a replacement chip. They are commonly know as 2 wire mods to your air intake temp sensor. Weither or not there is an actual chip inside the little black box they give would have to be seen to know for sure as all you need for the task is a resistor and 2 wires. I used a resistor/2 wire mod on my 01 Mustang GT. All I had to do to hook it up was to pull the connector from the IAT sensor and then insert the wires coming off of the resistor. This fooled the computer into thinking that the air temp at the intake was COOLER then the air actually was. Since the computer thought that the air temp was cooler it advanced the timing. This did give more power but then required me to start using 91 octane vs the 87 octane that the car was designed to run on. With the 87 I had no pickup and even less midrange but my top end was pretty strong. Once I switched to 91 my bottom end all the way thru redline was extremely more powerful.

For our cars do we even have a stand alone IAT sensor? It could have some kind of cicuit inside that acts like an electronic potentiometer thus allowing it to vary the amount of change to the temp signal based on the actual signal. Basically insted of being a fixed signal like in my example, this one will take the signal and change it accordingly.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM

These "snake oil" gimmicks do absolutely no good with the complexity of today's ECMs!

Any "trick" (usually just a resistor) to fool the intake air or water temp will not work. The ECM will still command stoic AFR, period.

Get a real tune. If you don't know a good tuner familiar with your car I recommend Trifecta.

And that's coming from an HPTuners fan that tuned the very 1st HHR.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:11 PM

G Force

Thanks for your input Guys
So would the Trifecta tune void your warranty?
All I really want is to increase MPG and a little more HP.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 PM

thread dig.i also am curious if the trifecta will void warranty.first car thats actually had warranty so kind of want to keep it
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lowgearjoe
has anyone here treid these yet on the HHR?
We bought one for my sons Ram with a Hemi engine, he says he gained 160 miles on a tank of gas, & was pulling harder on take off's.
So was thinking about putting one on my HHR was wondering if maybe some one here had put one on theres and what kind of gains they got.

The "power wire" used on the Dodge 5.7 Hemi is nothing more than a 4.7k 1/2watt resistor with the proper connectors to make it plug 'n play on the air intake temperature(ait) sensor connector. I haven't done any research but the G-Force Chip may be pretty much the same thing. Since I'm new here perhaps I should just lurk awhile and keep my mouth shut.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 08LaRam
The "power wire" used on the Dodge 5.7 Hemi is nothing more than a 4.7k 1/2watt resistor with the proper connectors to make it plug 'n play on the air intake temperature(ait) sensor connector. I haven't done any research but the G-Force Chip may be pretty much the same thing. Since I'm new here perhaps I should just lurk awhile and keep my mouth shut.
Well, if ya don't ask, you'll never know....

And...

There are no stupid questions, only smart-a$$ answers!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by GR$$N$
thread dig.i also am curious if the trifecta will void warranty.first car thats actually had warranty so kind of want to keep it
This thread is not really about trifecta but here's an answer for you.

Dealers must now send the data which contains all part numbers (programs) that have loaded into the ECM, before GM PQC will authorize major power train repairs. If a non GM tune is found the power train warranty is voided by GM.

Also if a dealer found a non-GM program during normal diagnostics, the dealer is suppose to report this to GM and the power train warranty and the ECM warranty are voided by GM.

I believe Trifecta is suppose to be stealth. Others would have to comment on that.