General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Hitch & Hitch Accessories

Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM

HHR Hitch & Hitch Accessories

Just got a decent deal on the custom fit UHAUL Hitch with Lifetime Warrantee & a Compact Car Cargo Carrier that is just the right size for me to put a lawn mower on the hitch instead of in the HHR like I have been now (didn't waste money on the rails-can make um if I need um from electrical conduit). The cargo carrier is better than most because of the smaller size (fits inside the HHR till you need it (Home Depot/Lowes trips etc. & also it is one of the few that you can adjust the tray closer or away from the bumper, as well as the hitch bar is raised about 8 inches-no dragging on the ground or going into driveways).

Also bought a Bike rack from Walmart online (cheaper than the store & had it shipped to the store for free). I researched the bike rack and concluded it was the best for the money-the Allen website even has videos on installing.

The deal from UHAUL was Free Shipping (saves a ton due to the weight) and no tax (taxed if I went to the Store). I have the links posted below. I know most of you would rather spend the $ on performance but I also bought my HHR for a utilitarian type vehicle-lawn mowing & kid/fun transport. I will try to put on this weekend. Pictures? Possibly.... Did a prelim look underneath and found 2 of the necessary holes were never punched out on assembly yet there are etched circles with etched arrows pointing to them. Odd. No big deal-easy enough to drill um. Some of you who may have been teetering on buying a hitch could save some bucks with the free shipping & no tax...

I ordered them late Sunday night-got them both this morning FEDEX Ground-the Tray came from PA and the Hitch from GA. Great shipping for free!!!

Mike

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Deluxe-4-B...Hitch/10812001
http://store.uhaul.com/Wheelchair___..._Cargo_Carrier
http://store.uhaul.com/Trailer_Hitches

Last edited by BlackknighT; 05-26-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 PM

i have a hitch on mine but only to carry a bike rack. Needed a way to get them around and mine does not fit inside easily at all, and not with anything else in there.

I went with a rack though that holds the bikes from the bottom. 1 because my wife's bike has no top bar, and even though i have an adapter for it, it is still a pain. 2 because I had a different one and got so tired of the clamp on the top bar kind. It was pricier but in the end it made up the difference in ease of use.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Mike- Thanks for the link for the hitch..

I've been wanting to get set-up to pull motorcycles, or the riding mower, or etc..

Have plans for a nice light single axle trailer...

Billy
Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 AM

You do realize the hitch is a 1.25" reciever and the bike rack takes a 2" reciever....

I use both a hitchhaul and tow a 4x6 tilt trailer with mine. Not together of course....
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
You do realize the hitch is a 1.25" reciever and the bike rack takes a 2" reciever....

I use both a hitchhaul and tow a 4x6 tilt trailer with mine. Not together of course....
good catch forgot to mention that. You usually won't (or ever) find a 4-bike rack for a 1.25" rack. Plus if you use an adapter you cut your tongue weight in half.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

I found these two for 1 1/4" hitches FYI, and the price is approx. the same.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...ady/63120.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...ady/63155.html
Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by the_shmoo
I found these two for 1 1/4" hitches FYI, and the price is approx. the same.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...ady/63120.html
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-...ady/63155.html
I'll have to remember that bike rack. Nice find for a 2 holder. For my hitch haul, i just replaced the 2" draw bar with a 1.25" one. If down the road I get another 2" reciever, I can just swap it back.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM

I Found a hitch for mine at a local place for about the same price and I have plans of building a small ut. trailer to haul detailing stuff around.. and ofcourse I would paint the trailer victory red
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM

Sorry Guys-forgot to mention the sizes.
The Cargo Rack is already 1.25. (Solid Bar)
The Bike Rack is 2 inches but I had already picked up a hitch adapter/extension a couple weeks earlier on Amazon when it was real cheap. Was 6 inches long (no jokes please) 1.25 to 2 inches. At the time it was only 20 bucks and free shipping.
I had reseached all items for quite a long time before buying and had bought the adapter well in advance knowing the better bike racks were 2 inches. Sorry about that...

Will be installing hitch on Sunday or Monday... Bike rack still in route to Walmart Store.

Last edited by BlackknighT; 05-28-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: hitch add
Old 05-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Put the UHAUL hitch on last night just before the rain. Took about a half hour because the instructions said to just drill larger the existing hole to the rear of the vehicle on the passanger side. The drivers side only had to be done for the SS and others (solstice, cobalt, etc.), not the regular HHR. The drivers side hole was the proper 1/2 inch dia but of course when I went to snake & drop the bolt from the frame down into the hole-it was a hair too small to fit the bolt and the snake attached to the bolt. I had to use a coat hanger snake to reverse hook and pull the washer out of the frame.

Anyone installing a hitch-please open up BOTH passanger and DRIVERS side rear (closest to bumper) holes. It also looks (I could be wrong) that the hitch was made with a longer neck sticking out from the rear. Good thinking because it makes it easier to attach the cargo tray to.

Very solid tray-I borrowed my neighbors tork wrench from him and when I returned it I had the tray installed on the hitch. He weighs about 250 and thought nothing og jumping to sit mid air onto the tray. I almost cried but it held up great-no bending or sway whatsoever. I'm just using it for my lawnmower anyway, so I know it will hold. Pictures with the tray should follow soon. Getting yard clean for Memorial Day.

A SALUTE TO ALL OUR SOLDIERS-PAST & PRESENT!!!! THANKS GO TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR Hitch & Hitch Accessories