Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How to replace wheel bearing assembly on front

Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 PM

How to replace wheel bearing assembly on front

Wondering if anyone has any tips for removing and replacing the wheel bearing/hub assembly for the drivers front?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Really,no one has replaced the hub assembly? I've also found out nobody makes an axel puller to get this off the CV shaft,WTF ??!!! I can't believe this is froze on there so bad,I've banged on it to try and break it loose and everything else I can think of but no luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 PM

Yes people have. Just a slow night on the forum. i did some quick searches and at least I found a pic. Click the link and scroll down on the page.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...acement&page=4
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

JC Whitney, & a standard 3 or 5 lug puller should do fine.

PS: I would add some anti-seize or grease on the axle spline before re-assembly..
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

IŽve changed both on my hhr. IŽm going to explain how to remove (sorry, I didnŽt take pictures). But first, youŽll need:

29 mm axle nut socket (I bought it at autozone).
A break bar (2 ft long min to make the removal easier)
15 mm socket
WD40 or something similar
a wood plank, or a rubber hammer.

1. Lift your car and Remove the stock wheel.
2. Put the spare tire (this will show you the axle nut).
3. With the car on the floor, remove the axle nut with the break bar and the 29 mm socket.
4. Lift again the car and remove the spare tire.
5. Remove the Brake calliper and brake pads and hang the calliper with a wire on the spring. Take care with brake fluid hoses.
6. Remove the Frame that holds the brake pads from the knuckle. YouŽll need here the 15 mm socket.
7. Remove the brake rotor.
8. Now you can see the Hub bearing. Apply WD40 on the screws, and remove them with the 15 mm socket.
9. Disconnect the ABS connector (if equiped) with a nail pliers.
10. Now, with the wood plank or rubber hammer, apply a little amount of force on the axle, to remove it from the bearing. In my case, I didnŽt use these. This came out very easy. You can use an Axle tool to remove it.
11. Instalation is reverse.

I hope this helps you.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeffros hhr
Really,no one has replaced the hub assembly? I've also found out nobody makes an axel puller to get this off the CV shaft,WTF ??!!! I can't believe this is froze on there so bad,I've banged on it to try and break it loose and everything else I can think of but no luck.
To remove the axle, I used a lower ball joint tool and a rubber hammer, the one that looks like a fork. It pop out easy.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
IŽve changed both on my hhr. IŽm going to explain how to remove (sorry, I didnŽt take pictures). But first, youŽll need:

29 mm axle nut socket (I bought it at autozone).
A break bar (2 ft long min to make the removal easier)
15 mm socket
WD40 or something similar
a wood plank, or a rubber hammer.

1. Lift your car and Remove the stock wheel.
2. Put the spare tire (this will show you the axle nut).
3. With the car on the floor, remove the axle nut with the break bar and the 29 mm socket.
4. Lift again the car and remove the spare tire.
5. Remove the Brake calliper and brake pads and hang the calliper with a wire on the spring. Take care with brake fluid hoses.
6. Remove the Frame that holds the brake pads from the knuckle. YouŽll need here the 15 mm socket.
7. Remove the brake rotor.
8. Now you can see the Hub bearing. Apply WD40 on the screws, and remove them with the 15 mm socket.
9. Disconnect the ABS connector (if equiped) with a nail pliers.
10. Now, with the wood plank or rubber hammer, apply a little amount of force on the axle, to remove it from the bearing. In my case, I didnŽt use these. This came out very easy. You can use an Axle tool to remove it.
11. Instalation is reverse.

I hope this helps you.
Very straight forward how to.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:05 AM

I've talked to a couple shops and both say you need an air hammer to get the old one out.Here in Iowa we have bad winters and salt to melt things so it's caused somecorrosion and it's froze up in there.I know an axel puller would probably work but I called O'Reillys for a puller & they said they didn't have one to fit.Aren't those things supposed to be universal ?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Maybe they didn't understand what you need. ask for a three jaw gear puller, should work well to push the shaft out. It may bend the hub a little but you are replaceing the wheel bearing anyway
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lucky
maybe they didn't understand what you need. Ask for a three jaw gear puller, should work well to push the shaft out. It may bend the hub a little but you are replaceing the wheel bearing anyway
x 2 ^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace wheel bearing assembly on front