Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check Engine Light due to Oil Change?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 PM

Question Check Engine Light due to Oil Change?

My Check Engine Light came on a while back (about 4,000 miles ago to be exact), and I took it to the dealer where they proceeded to tell me they had to charge me $140 to check the code, and that the cost of that would be applied to any fix. I told them my car needed an oil change, sadly it had been about 6,000 miles and the DIC Oil Life was saying ~30%...

When I got my car back the service advisor told me that there was really "nothing wrong with it," but that it needed an oil change. I'd have to look at the paperwork, but I think they also said they checked a solenoid as well and that it was fine, nothing wrong there. Somehow the $140 didn't get applied to the "fix" aka oil change, so still had to pay for that - ha ha

Fast Forward to tonight...Drove the car earlier today and it was just fine, got in it tonight and the check engine light is on.

The temp is ~28 degrees F, and if I remember correctly it was pretty cold the last time the CEL came on too. Called OnStar to get a diagnostic, and they told me the same exact message as last time - Engine may not be producing full power, and I could experience a loss of power to the wheels, etc. etc. (I don't remember the whole thing)

Nonetheless, my car is about 4,000 miles since the last oil change, so I'm really curious if it's as the dealership told me before...that "it just needed an oil change" or if there really is something else going on?

It's a 2009 with about 83,400 miles on it - I drive...a LOT, and mostly highway, so not a lot of wear and tear on the car, but I assume at this point with this many miles that things may need to start being replaced?

I've asked my dealership, and the service advisors seem to always tell me "Oh we'll monitor it, and let you know" or "Your brakes are getting close, but next time you can get the replaced...they don't need it yet"

I really don't want to not pay attention to something, and have something catastrophically wrong happen to my car...So I'm curious if anyone else has had similar issues, and if an oil change can really be the cause of a CEL (the oil life sensor stated somewhere in high 70% range if I remember correctly)?

Sorry for this being so long!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Go to your local Auto Parts store, they can check the code for FREE !!!

Could be as simple as a loose, or even bad gas cap.. But better to be safe.

Many here put lots more miles on between oil changes & run the DIC down to almost 0% & no code thrown..

Question: Is your engine temp running up to normal ? say 190* & above, after full warm up..

PS: As to them applying the $140. to your bill, they did on the oil change & whatever else they 'claimed' to have checked.. You can't get out free..
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 AM

Sleeper - thanks for the quick response! The Auto Zone here does check for free, and I've thought about doing that, however, I have been told in the past by guys at this same dealership that they "don't trust the codes those places pull."

I do know the CEL isn't due to the gas cap issue - I've had that one before, and OnStar reads me a totally different issue something about the emissions, and they say it's not urgent and to get it to the dealership within 7 days. This CEL code is take it to the dealership as fast as your car will take you there, and don't drive it around (it sounds fine? )

I did look at the coolant temp, and brand new when I first got it, it would run ~183-186 degrees F, and now depending on outside temp it runs between ~183-196 degrees F...So mostly the same still (I may just have never noticed the higher temps initially, or maybe that is something else as well)

ETA:
"PS: As to them applying the $140. to your bill, they did on the oil change & whatever else they 'claimed' to have checked.. You can't get out free.. "

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to get out free...But when they said the $140 would be applied towards the fix, and then he turned around and said "the fix" was the oil change...I would've thought the $140 would have covered it since that was supposedly "the fix" - although it seems a little strange to me ha ha!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Jennybeeb-

I have been told in the past by guys at this same dealership that they "don't trust the codes those places pull."

Of course, because the stealership makes No money when you get a diagnosis for FREE.. Think about it..

I can assure you, it is done plenty by members here..When the need arises..

"something about the emissions" Why didn't the dealer tech pick up on this ?

This is something that should be adressed.. & an oil change is not the answer..

fwiw: changing the oil & filter on hhr is the easiest I have ever done..
soooo simple..

edit: I would bring up the $140. & No fix..maybe with the Service Manager..

If you have an emmissions issue, this should be covered under warranty, I believe..

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/07-09-10-11-powertrain-parts-coverage-list-22231/

Last edited by sleeper; 12-12-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: add link
Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Deceased

X Everything sleeper said, oil changes will not trigger the CEL, get your codes pulled and think seriously about going to another dealership because you're being fed a line of BS a mile wide.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
think seriously about going to another dealership because you're being fed a line of BS a mile wide.
Kind of what I was thinking - may get the codes tomorrow morning, and take it to the other dealership...I like them much better, so it'll be worth the drive (the other one is just convenient because it's within a mile of my house, but as you can tell they aren't so awesome).
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Deceased

Yup, sometimes you have to get your Donald Trump on and "fire" your current dealership if they aren't doing the job.

Once you get the codes post 'em up here, I have an idea as to what you might have going on, but the codes will either confirm or deny my suspicions.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 AM

I too would recomend a new dealer. These guys have already taken you once.

I wonder if the first time they fixed something under warranty and said they found nothing? Some emission items are covered like drivetrain well over the 30,000 miles.

Sleeper is correct and a set code is a set code. Autozone can read them as well as anyone. I bought my own code reader and it has already paid for itself.

Oil changes will only tell you in the DIC that you need to change oil when it get low enough. The check engine setting will normally tell you a failure in a computer sensor or something in the emssions has failed.

There are many Chevy dealers and Life is too short to get ripped off twice by the same one. Even a good local shop can read codes and many of them can also do warranty work if not a good one will send you to the dealer if it is under warranty.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 AM

That why I take my HHR to a local ASC certified shop. He does charge to read/clear codes: $40. (The computer equipment cost him about $10K) He also lets me watch to see what he is doing. The only time I had the CEL come on is when my battery died.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Jennybeeb,

I'm sorry to hear you have had problems with your dealer. If you would like help finding another dealer or would like me to check on your vehicle information, feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light due to Oil Change?