General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Why I hate the HHR.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Why I hate the HHR.

When I first bought it, it was fun and funky. Well it has been funkier than anything.
First the exhaust rusted off in the fourth year. 45,000 miles.
The shifter has broken, twice. 29,000 miles and 60,000
The driver’s side door handle broke. 50,000 miles.
The wind shield wiper arms broke off, both sides.
Heater blower motor has been replaced.
The driver’s side heated seat has never worked.
The remote start doesn’t work. (Yea, new batteries, tried it)
Various lights in the tail end, they seem to always go on a regular basis.
It rips tires to shreds, even with a 4 wheel. It chews up brakes and rotors in the front, as well.
I have had to replace both front wheel bearings, both struts as well. The passenger lower control arm and the driver’s side axle.
I just recently had to replace the flex pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat.
I have 132,000 miles on it now. The engine and transmission seem strong but the rest of the car seems to be falling apart.
Now, Last night I hit a deer on the way home from work and I will need a hood, grill and a passenger side fender and headlight, not to mention anything else.
I was going to give this car to my Daughter when she turns 16 in March, but I like my daughter to much to do that to her….
I used to be a diehard Chevy guy, I’ve owned a couple of 67 Camaro’s and trucks in the past, but if this is Chevy quality….RUN people!!
Nate
Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Welcome to the site. Sorry to here about your hhr problems. I have two hhr 07 and a 08. I have had good luck with mine so far. I see that you have an 06 the first year for the hhr. I believe that any first year car gets the bugs worked out over the next few years. You have replaced a lot of parts but at 132,000 miles most car out there would have a big list of replacement parts as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Got my 08 new & love it... Best car I've ever had. I would be bummed too, to have the problems that you have incountered. Sorry to hear of the problems you have had, but I would amagine that there are a bunch of people on the site that have had good luck with the car. I know we don't have all the rust problems that you have. (And would not want it)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Deceased

sorry to hear about all the problems
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Deceased

Well welcome to the forum Nate, although your first post may not give many of our members here a case of the "Warm Fuzzies", just so you know.

Many of the issues you're having, or have had in the past, are addressed in this excellent thread by our Moderator whopper. Click the link below to give it a read......

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/list-common-problems-questions-related-links-38985/
Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Maybe the insurance will total the car for you. Then your agony will end.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Yea, I know. I've had to develop all these little fixes for this thing over the years. Like pinning the wind sheild wiper arms to making a support bracket for the inner door handle to remaking the exhaust down tube flex pipe. At least the shifter handle was covered once under warranty. I just ffel like I have been nickeled and dimed lately. I like that the car has good cargo space and I like the sitting position of the car. I'll get it fixed cause I think it still owes me. The sun roof is a cool feature. It goes nearly the full length of the roof.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a lemon.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Sorry to here about all the problems with your HHR. I bought mine new in 2007 and have had no problems, although I only have just over 31000 miles on it. Did you buy yours new? I see that your remote start doesn't work. Could it be turned off? It can be turned off or on.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Welcome! FWIW you can't come on to a HHR forum full of fanatics, complain about every issue in your first post, and expect a ton of feedback....

I am sorry you have had the problems, most of us are willing to help if you a trying to do any of these repairs yourself

Anyhow good luck the rest of the way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I hate the HHR.