Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall

Old 04-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall

Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

I believe you're the first person to complain of that problem. Others have had intermediate shaft and other such problems.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Founding Member

Keep your receipts. If it does get recalled you will get a refund. What part # did you install?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 PM

ChevyMgr-
Just got my wifes 05 Cobalts "Notice of Pending Notification" for the recall. Shes got about 65,000 and no issues with the pwrstr motor. I think you had mentioned before to wait a while after the offical recall is out. Does this still hold true?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
ChevyMgr-
Just got my wifes 05 Cobalts "Notice of Pending Notification" for the recall. Shes got about 65,000 and no issues with the pwrstr motor. I think you had mentioned before to wait a while after the offical recall is out. Does this still hold true?
05's are recalled now so take it in to get the new motor. Just had an 06 HHR pull in 5 minutes ago with the power steering going off every 5 minutes. Hmmm no recall though.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 PM

My dealer finally did right with my father after last weeks fiasco. Had the Cobalt done this morning. All this talk of PS cutting out on the HHR is worrying me a little. I'm doing my semiannual pilgrimage to Las Vegas this weekend. Full load in the year one HHR - Parents, Sister and weeks work of Luggage. Here's hoping it's trouble free road trip like it has been the past dozen or so
Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Well, if it does go out on me, at least it's not like the car will accelerate to my death. I can drive without power steering, in fact I've pushed my truck and had to steer it many times!!! Be like the old days when power steering was only an option, or not even available!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Grumpee.........Have a nice trip and good luck.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
Like many others soon after the Electric Power Steering recall on other GM like cars, Cobalt, but not HHR, I then experienced the Electric Power Steering problem. It would reset after it cooled down, but it tripped every day. I was able to fix it myself by replacing the Electric Power Steering motor under the dash on the column. It is mounted with 2 bolts. I was told the dealer would not issue a recall and it would cost about $400. I replaced it myself with the new replacement for only $125.
I would be contacting NHTSA. Chevy will need to explain why HHRs, that use the same steering as the Cobalt, are not included in the recall.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Don06
I would be contacting NHTSA. Chevy will need to explain why HHRs, that use the same steering as the Cobalt, are not included in the recall.
Thanks - I contacted NHTSA. I will post the reply when I hear back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Power Steering EZ fix no recall