"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM

EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement

If anyone has their HHR come up with a P0449 code don't take it to the dealer to fix.
It is a quick and easy fix, only cost me $30 in parts and my time.
Dealer wanted to charge me $180 to do the job. Said that GM changed the plus style on solenoid and I had to buy a jumper wire as well as solenoid.

Went to my local PepBoys, bought a replacement solenoid, and an Innova Equus 3030 diagnostic tool so I could erase code. Bonus is I can use the diagnostic tool on almost all cars 1996 and newer. Solenoid is made by BWD (part #CPV43), not an ACDelco but still made in the USA. It has the new GM style plug, but it comes with the jumper wire included.

1) back your HHR up onto a set of ramps - this makes it easier to get to the solenoid.
2) disconnect the wire plug from the solenoid (it is on the back side).
3) gently push retaining clip back and slid solenoid off of charcoal canister.
4) push in on both retaining clips on vent hose and slid it off of solenoid.
5) take rubber seal off of old solenoid and place it on new solenoid.
6) gently slid new solenoid back onto charcoal canister until retaining clip clicks.
7) slid vent hose back onto solenoid until retaining clips click.
8) gently tug on solenoid and vent hose to make sure everything is secure.
9) connect new plug to solenoid and clip old style end to rear cross member.
10) connect old plug to wire jumper.
11) connect diagnostic tool to vehicle, clear code, and remove diagnostic tool.
12) start vehicle, verify engine light does not come back on, and drive it off ramps.

Picture below is with new solenoid installed. You can see the "red" jumper wire connection attached to cross member.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the how to
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM

I wish a thread like this had been posted 2 months ago. Cost me 300 bucks at the dealership to get this exact fix.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Good write up....
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 AM

great help

Once again the seach function is the best tool on here.
Thank you for posting great pic and instructions on the evap solenoid swhould be great help in me fixing this problem if I can just find the part other than at the dealer
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by rattletrap
Once again the seach function is the best tool on here.
Thank you for posting great pic and instructions on the evap solenoid swhould be great help in me fixing this problem if I can just find the part other than at the dealer
https://www.google.com/search?q=214-2236
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM

I guess my biggest question to all this, since my '09 2.4 is throwing the P0449 code.... Did you TRY anything else BEFORE you replaced the EVAP solenoid, or did you just replace that?
I've been told the P0449 code could be anything from a bad gasket on the fuel cap to broken/cut hose running to the canister to the solenoid itself.
I realize this is an old thread, but hopefully a couple more answers can be answered before I spring for the solenoid - agreed, it's not expensive if DIY, but replacing the gas cap is easier. And I'm all about easy at this stage in life!

Larry - DaGrinch
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by DaGrinch
I guess my biggest question to all this, since my '09 2.4 is throwing the P0449 code.... Did you TRY anything else BEFORE you replaced the EVAP solenoid, or did you just replace that?
I've been told the P0449 code could be anything from a bad gasket on the fuel cap to broken/cut hose running to the canister to the solenoid itself.
I realize this is an old thread, but hopefully a couple more answers can be answered before I spring for the solenoid - agreed, it's not expensive if DIY, but replacing the gas cap is easier. And I'm all about easy at this stage in life!

Larry - DaGrinch
I will bet that if you put p0449 into the search box you will get answers.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Deceased

Mr. Grinch

Give this thread a read........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/p0449-code-20547/
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks kind Sirs..... I appreciate the replies.
I did search for the code on the site before posting anything, which brought me to this thread as well as the one recommended above. I tried the fuel cap replacement - no good. So, I crawled under the car and checked everything else. All was good. So, down to the friendly AdvanceAuto and, typical me, forgot to write down the part number listed by the OP. Tried to wing it, got the wrong part. Took it back and by pure luck the counter girl said the part needed was the CPV43.
So, it's ordered and should be in Wednesday. I hope so... I plan to take a day trip next weekend to the *gulp* part of the state where no one has any sense: outside of Baltimore. Best break out my body armor - seems like they have at least a couple shootings a day down that part of O'Malley's Kingdom.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement