"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics

Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics

Took some time to get into my third bad turn signal to see if there was some permanent fix to the problem of the “canceling” feature not working.

Short answer; YES.

For a discussion of the problem see:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/turn-signal-issues-34898/

I have had three Multi-function Turn Signal/Head Light control sticks go bad. Each lasts 10 – 15 thousand miles before the canceling feature starts to act up. Left turns were my first indication, others on this site have reported right turns were their initial problem.

My problem was corrected with a very easy fix to the light switch assembly. Getting the assembly out of the vehicle was the worst part of the job.

Some general statements before I get started with the particulars:
●This was performed on a 2009 – your vehicle maybe different.
●You should feel comfortable removing vehicle trim panels and separating electrical connectors.
●Use the Steering Column adjustment up and down to your liking as you work.
●Some of my names/descriptions for the parts may not match their GM designations.

Picture of tools I used:

Lets get started:
The first panel to be removed is the one surrounding the instrument panel. I used a very small (1/8” blade screwdriver) to pry the two lower sides towards the driver and then pulled the panel up and out. You’ll have to work at it some; the solution is to pull straight out. My vehicle did not have the two screws at the top holding it to the underside of the dash. Possibly because they are not necessary or the dealer left them out after having replaced the switch assembly twice before. Look to see if you have any screws installed before starting any prying; remove the screws first if they are present.

Remove the three screws from the bottom Steering Column Cover. A 7MM Nut Driver or socket is needed. Remove the bottom cover – it is snapped into the top cover and will take some fidgeting to get it to release at the joint.

Bottom removed

The top Steering Column Cover easily lifts off in the direction of the roof.
Top Removed

In the above image you can see the two electrical connectors plugged into the front of the assembly.

Unplug the wiring harness connectors - there are two.

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to release the top and bottom retaining clips of the switch assembly and slide the assembly out towards the driver’s door. My Steering Column had to be adjusted to its full up position to get the switch out of the steering column.

After repair of the Turn Signal assembly reinstallation of the switch in the vehicle is in the reverse order.

At this point you could take the easy way out and replace the old switch with a new switch. This was my third switch in this vehicle and I have no confidence in GM or its suppliers to produce a good switch. So I was going to “fix” their damn problem no matter what it took. If it took fabricating durable parts, that is what I was going to do. Luckily that was not necessary.

Now lets take a look at the switch assembly and what was wrong with my switch - your switch and problem may of course be different.

Operation of the turn signal canceling:
Notice the milky white actuator on the right side of the pictures.

The first picture shows the neutral or canceled position. In the second and third pictures the canceling actuator is waiting for a lobe on the steering shaft to come around and trip it to return the turn signal stock to the neutral position. In my case the actuator rarely came out of the assembly to be intercepted by the steering shaft lobe.

Remove the four #2 Philips screws and the cover and a few small parts – notice how those small parts are positioned so you may return them to their proper positions.

Notice the flat, gold or brass colored spring on the right – that is where my problem was. It was permanently bowed towards the driver’s door – it needs to be straight or bowed towards the steering shaft.
This picture shows the bow in the correct direction.

I used a pick to release each end of the spring from the switch housing and reversed it so it had some bend toward the steering column. Now I put everything back together.

Proper operation:
The actuator is extended, when in the right or left turn signal position, and waiting for a lobe on the steering wheel shaft to come around and trip it causing the stock to return to the center position.

In conclusion, I believe GM’s supplier simply installed this one spring in the wrong direction. I have been running this for 6 months and haven’t had a problem. If this problem occurs again I will first try reversing the spring again, bending the spring or fabricating my own spring design.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Deceased

Nice write up, good job!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Very nice write up - and the PICTURES!!

Even I might be able to handle something like that, should the need arise.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM

Works!

I just used your fix and the turn signal cancel is working like new again!
I went ahead and turned both springs around while I had it apart. Thank for the instructions and great pics!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Founding Member

Rick, I have lots of customers come it that state this happens only sometimes. Is this how yours acted up or when it quit was it dead completely? Same complaint on Malibu's which I believe is the same part.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Rick, I have lots of customers come it that state this happens only sometimes. Is this how yours acted up or when it quit was it dead completely? Same complaint on Malibu's which I believe is the same part.
Yup, the problem started as an intermittent problem with each assembly. It was very intermittent to the point I doubted myself if I had activated the turn signal to begin with.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM

I am having mine (09 LS) changed just before my 36,000 is up in a couple of months because the right cancel isn't working. This is great info for when that new one goes....

My wife & I always joke/complain when people with brand new cars never use their turn signals. The older the car-the more they are used.

Now I just look to see if it is a new chevy product and if the signal isn't on the joke is the switch is really probably boken...

I do have to admit though that my HHR really hasn't given me any issues other than the Cam Sensors (replaced under warr), brake light switch (tremendous amount of stopping in NY traffic on a plastic leavered switch, not metal like older ones are, + replaced under warr), and now the turn signal cancellation. Nothing major, and items that are easy enough & cheap enough to fix myself.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks, I think I'm going to try this. I just had my HHR in for service (key stuck in the ignition problem), and when I got it home I realized the signals weren't turning off anymore. I might just call back and see if they'll fix it, but I have a feeling they'll claim it was broken already.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 AM

So, I had a terrible thing happen to me. I was doing this and just as I remove the top of the blinker, I sneezed and everything pretty much fell out... (Talk about perfect timing)… Anyway, I was hoping someone could post a picture of the inside of the blinker with just the top lid off, or explain how everything goes because I’ve been trying and can’t seem to get it no matter how I put things.

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2012, 01:28 PM

I figured it out! thanks to sno white for linking me to exactly what was needed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics