North Pacific AK, WA, OR

Tire chains!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Tire chains!!!

I have been reading a number of comments in dealing with tire chains. It is my understanding that they do not work on the HHR due to clearence (cable or ANY other type of chain).

This is my first winter with my HHR. I enjoy skiing and often drive over to Idaho in the winter to see family and friends.

The passes often require tire chains-or you get ticketed.

Does anyone have any advice/information on this subject?
Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 PM

I also found out this is due to the strut clearance etc. I have found these very cool but very spendy chains-

Possibly these will work?

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-...A4339A0A0.aspx
Old 10-03-2009, 06:00 PM

I think you are out of luck. It all has to do with the tire diameter. Adding chains makes it too big. I would always check stuff like this out before I buy if there is something a do regularly. After all, this is an economy wagon, not an SUV or even a crossover.

You can of course do what you want, just be ready to accept what might happen.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 AM

I wondered that too, because when I was in Colorado I noticed they have signs that say if the lights are flashing, you MUST have tire chains, but I saw in the owners manual that you should not put them on....
Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I think you are out of luck. It all has to do with the tire diameter. Adding chains makes it too big. I would always check stuff like this out before I buy if there is something a do regularly. After all, this is an economy wagon, not an SUV or even a crossover.

You can of course do what you want, just be ready to accept what might happen.

I hear ya-I am just a bit put off by it all. I figured chains were sort of a given on any car-that you should be able to apply them. My bad I suppose-but I feel somewhat jaded by the whole thing. Its not a huge deal-I can get where I need to go without them-its just having the OPTION that would be nice.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I wondered that too, because when I was in Colorado I noticed they have signs that say if the lights are flashing, you MUST have tire chains, but I saw in the owners manual that you should not put them on....
Thats my main concern. they REQUIRE chains on the passes at certain times. Believe me-the cops just do loops pulling people over left and right who dont have them on. Now-it is somewhat rare (usually just traction tires required)-at the same time how can I be required to have chains when they wont fit on the car?

I do believe those Thule chains might work. They dont attach back behind by the strut. The problem is that they are 400 bucks...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Got a set of Shur Grip Z cables from JC Whitney. They are made by SCC and made to fit vehicles with "S" class clearance. Previously I had a set of cables from a local auto parts retailer that started coming apart after about 2 hrs of use.

As a commercial driver that crosses the Cascades regularly, I can confirm there are conditions when chains are required on all vehicles except AWD and the patrol does issue tickets to vehicles not properly equiped.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:54 PM

I'm in Eugene, Oregon and also have been dealing with this issue. I have to travel over the Cascades to Bend about once a week on the average. When I first got the HHR in mid-November (after rolling my Focus in a snow bank up there in late October) and tried to put the cable chains on, I found it quite difficult. Very little clearance with my 17" tire /wheel combination (stock 2LT). Plus, trying to do it in the cold weather and the slush on the ground doesn't make it easy. I decided to get some winter studded tires on steel wheels, and only put them on the HHR when I need to. Far easier to change them in my garage, with the right equipment. Just yesterday, I picked up a set of steel wheels for $50. Now I just need to find some good, cheap studded tires.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM

I've been thinking about trying these: http://www.spikes-spiders.com/ but I have no idea if they will work or not.