General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Auto Power Window Roll-up

Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Auto Power Window Roll-up

How have people approached having the windows roll up automatically when the Factory door locks are activated?

I am thinking of wiring in some sort of controller that will roll up all the windows when either I use the remote to lock or press the front door lock controls. Seems like I could use the “door lock” command from the BCM to activate.

I did this sometime ago to a 1991 K2500HD.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

On the wifes Caddy if you hold down the lock button for a couple seconds it does that. So it is possible. Maybe you could check out a caddy forum and get some ideas how it is done.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Electrical Diagrams

Originally Posted by Sno White
How have people approached having the windows roll up automatically when the Factory door locks are activated?

I am thinking of wiring in some sort of controller that will roll up all the windows when either I use the remote to lock or press the front door lock controls. Seems like I could use the “door lock” command from the BCM to activate.

I did this sometime ago to a 1991 K2500HD.
I will find out tomorrow. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard. You would have to build some sort of a timer switch and have it give power to the windows up signal wire. See Diagram below. I would probably wire this to work off a switch insead of remote, because you may not need it all the time. I dfinately want to do this. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

Window Switch Electrical Diagram:
Name:  PowerWindowSwitch_Diagram.jpg
Views: 12748
Size:  59.0 KB

Door Lock Diagram:
Name:  DoorLock_Diagram.jpg
Views: 10588
Size:  60.9 KB

I hope these help. If you ever need any diagrams, Please let me know. I have ALLDATA ACCESS!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 AM

alldata is FTW. got to use it in some of my auto shop classes at the community college, so awesome
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM

It would have to be a somewhat complex circuit. You can't just hook up to the "WINDOW UP" lines because the lines are grounded thru the master window switch when no switches are pressed. Normally you could use isolation diodes, but since the windows go up AND down, the polarity reverses on the control lines (depending on whether the up or down switch is pressed). This means that diodes would not work in this application (because they would block any current flow in one direction).

The best way to do it would be to use a 4-pole double-throw relay. Cut the "WINDOW UP" lines (Pins 2,4,7,12) coming out of the Master Window Switch. Hook up the relay outputs so that they complete the circuit normally when the 4-pole relay is not activated. When the relay is activated, then the lines from the Master Window Switch would get disconnected and the relay would feed external power to the 4 Window motors.

Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Google " 4-Window Roll Up Module" You can find these for like $19.99 This should do the trick if wired properly. I personally will be getting 2 of these, and hooking one up for "UP" and another one for "DOWN" I will have these triggered by a Two-Way Momentary Rocker Switch, which will be located under the steering wheel somewhere. i'll post pictures when done.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Yes, the roll-up module is what I had in mind. However they require, at least in the 2009, running 2 wires into each of the doors to splice into the wires going directly to the window motors, up to 4 wires if you want both up and down motion. Those who have the window controls on the center console the process is very easy as all connections are made there.

I really do not want to tear apart the vehicle to get those wire runs to each of the doors – so I am looking into developing some way to do it without running all those wires AND adding some minor logic to the commercially available roll-up modules.

The BCM in the 2009 puts out a signal that I can use to activate the window roll up function whenever the doors are locked. Opps, I will have to rethink this a bit, as I have the vehicle lock the doors every time I shift out of “Park". I could turn this off in the DIC.

So, I am looking for as many different manufactures of the commercially available roll-up modules and the respective schematics and wiring diagrams that I can in an effort to make this as simple as possible.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM

Exclamation

This would not be safe unless you build in a safety sensor. That way you don't accidentally crush/amputate you, others or a pet. :-( It might be funny if you caught a thief in it though!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Founding Member

The 2009 malibu I am driving has express roll down and express roll up on the drivers door. No amputations so far.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Lightbulb

That's nice. That's because they have the sensor that will reverse the window if it feels resistance. At least I hope they would! It would be wrong if they didn't. Many oversea companies use them. It's just something to think about...
Check this out http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...1105/overview/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Power Window Roll-up