Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Should I replace worn OEM with KYB Shocks & Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Should I replace worn OEM with KYB Shocks & Struts

Hi Everyone,
I just got my 1st HHR; its a 2007 LT 2.4 auto. Love it! Purchased it with 97k miles. I know... it's alot, but it's in great condition in and out, and drives great! I bought it knowing it had some suspension issues.
I'm looking for help selecting KYB shocks & struts that are most like OEM, (Budget is a concern). I'm attempting to correct the knocking issues in the front & rear. I've been reading every ones posts on suspension noise, so I'm thinking of replacing the rear shocks and front struts with KYB's GR-2, and also maybe the sway bar bushings & end links. Should I also replace the strut mounts when I do the struts?
With 97k miles and pretty sure it has the original factory parts, should I ask my trusted mechanic to go for it all at once, or just target the shocks & struts first?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site and congradulations on the new HHR. I prolly needs it all.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

If you are going to do the struts, it is probably well worth doing the swaybar bushings and end links all at the same time. It wouldn't be much extra for the parts, and while it is apart for the struts, you will likely save on labour than doing it piece by piece later.

Strut mounts likely are just fine. Have the mechanic take a look at them when it pulls the struts.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 PM

^^^ What he said.....

and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Deceased

to the forum Blue Rookie HHR, and congrats on your new ride!

I'd do everything at once if your budget allows, struts, shocks, end links, bushings, and strut mounts. The mounts may be fine now, but its one of those deals where you might end up doing them in 20,000 miles so if you can change them when everything is apart, do it.

We're usually on the same wavelength whopper, but having done the struts in our '06 at 98,000 miles I can tell you the mounts were marginal enough to warrant changing out so I did.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
The mounts may be fine now, but its one of those deals where you might end up doing them in 20,000 miles so if you can change them when everything is apart, do it.
This guy is correct. Change the strut mounts too. I´m planning to change these, and also install front KYB struts (Still waiting for them). As you, I have those knocking issues.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
to the forum Blue Rookie HHR, and congrats on your new ride!

I'd do everything at once if your budget allows, struts, shocks, end links, bushings, and strut mounts. The mounts may be fine now, but its one of those deals where you might end up doing them in 20,000 miles so if you can change them when everything is apart, do it.

We're usually on the same wavelength whopper, but having done the struts in our '06 at 98,000 miles I can tell you the mounts were marginal enough to warrant changing out so I did.
Point taken - that's why I suggested he have the mechanic give them the ol' eye-ball - they aren't that expensive I gather (someone said they were almost the price of the struts somewhere) - http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QKYSM5513.html
So, for $50-60 - what the heck eh?
Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 AM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!
Nice having a variety of opinions to feed off of.

With this many miles, it does sound reasonable to get it all done at the same time (or as much as I can afford as possible). The current struts and shocks definitely have to go. As for the knocking and/or thumping, I'd like to "try" to isolate the source before throwing money at it, but judging by the other threads I've read here, I'll probably wind up changing all these parts anyway.
I am already pricing the all parts in question, and seriously considering raiding my piggy bank! LOL

Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between these 2 sway bar links from MOOG: #MOK80252, and MOK750012? I'm thinking of ordering a couple of them, but am confused as the images displayed at PartsTrain.com shows 2 completely different looking parts. Which is the right part for an HHR?
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Former Sponsor

KYB are OEM replacement, not much of an upgrade, more of just a OEM replacement... Koni are a VERY popular upgrade for a long lasting product...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
KYB are OEM replacement, not much of an upgrade, more of just a OEM replacement... Koni are a VERY popular upgrade for a long lasting product...
I looked on the Koni web site - they don't list HHR in their drop-down for Chev models. So...... do you go with Cobalt?

Quick Reply: Should I replace worn OEM with KYB Shocks & Struts