Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR 2006: Unlocking driver's side door with key sets off alarm

Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Unhappy HHR 2006: Unlocking driver's side door with key sets off alarm

Hi everyone,

Ever since the battery container broke off of the PCB on my keyfob, I've been left with using the key to unlock my car.

For locking the car, I have to step out, press the lock button on the driver's door, then close it. After a few seconds, the doors will lock. Getting back in the car is the interesting part, though. After unlocking and opening the driver's side door with my key, the alarm will go off, with a short honk occurring about every half a second. (Somehow, one day when I unlocked the car, the horn started honking at longer intervals (like a panick-panick-alarm), not sure how I did that). After I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, the alarm will go off, and I can proceed with unlocking the rest of the car if passengers need to get it.

I recall reading a thread with an issue similar to this, although I don't understand how this security measure is really necessary (seems to be more of an inconvenience and embarrassment than secure). Don't you need an exact replica of the key to be able to unlock the driver's side door in the first place? If not, how does putting it in the ignition confirm that the key is legitimate?

Also, another thing that I find rather odd is that if I step out and lock the driver's side door with the key, it will only lock that door, and not the rest of the car. It doesn't seem to support turning it twice to lock the rest of the car, either. I can't image the point of only locking the driver's side door when the rest of the car is still unlocked

If anyone has any suggestions (other than buying a new keyfob, I intend on asking someone to help me solder the battery container back on) for locking/unlocking my car without setting the alarm off in the meantime, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Deceased

to the forum tgp1994!

Here's a trick to try, lock the door with the key not the power lock button, then open the door with the key....the horn should stay blissfully quiet.

If it doesn't work the first time, unlock all the doors, then lock each door manually and then lock the driver's door with the key. Then try unlocking the driver's door with the key, the horn should remain silent.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM

When I bought my HHR last month, the fob had the same battery connection issue and when I tried the key in the door my alarm went off as well. I even found a thread about this either on here or another forum, I don't rememeber which one. That just seems to be the design on these cars and unforetuneately you just have to live with it I think. I have a soldering gun so I just fixed my fob and all has been well since.

Like you found, I believe the people in that thread said locking it via the key in the drivers door was the only way to lock the car without arming/setting the alarm. Then when you use the key to unlock it the alarm is not active and will not sound off.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
to the forum tgp1994!

Here's a trick to try, lock the door with the key not the power lock button, then open the door with the key....the horn should stay blissfully quiet.

If it doesn't work the first time, unlock all the doors, then lock each door manually and then lock the driver's door with the key. Then try unlocking the driver's door with the key, the horn should remain silent.
Thanks! :)

Interesting idea about manually locking the doors. I think I'll give that a try. The issue I found with only locking the driver's side door with the key is that, it only locks the driver's side door :P

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
When I bought my HHR last month, the fob had the same battery connection issue and when I tried the key in the door my alarm went off as well. I even found a thread about this either on here or another forum, I don't rememeber which one. That just seems to be the design on these cars and unforetuneately you just have to live with it I think. I have a soldering gun so I just fixed my fob and all has been well since.

Like you found, I believe the people in that thread said locking it via the key in the drivers door was the only way to lock the car without arming/setting the alarm. Then when you use the key to unlock it the alarm is not active and will not sound off.
To the soldering gun I shall go! At least until I try 843de's suggestion, although I think I'll want my fob working anyways.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM

I already had to re-solder the battery connections in both of our fobs. It wasn't hard to do.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a link to a description of how to resolder the broken battery contacts - hope it helps: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/keyfob-cold-solder-repair-22641/
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Awesome guys, thank you :)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 AM

@tgp1994, how did things go with using the key to lock and unlock your doors on your HHR? Were you able to get your soldering job done for your fob?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
@tgp1994, how did things go with using the key to lock and unlock your doors on your HHR? Were you able to get your soldering job done for your fob?

Unfortunately, the method of locking the doors with the power lock, unlocking the driver's door manually, then, stepping out and locking it with the key did not seem work, the alarm still went off. I haven't been able to solder my keyfob yet, I'm going to try to arrange with a friend to get that done next week.

Thanks for checking in!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM

@tgp1994, I apologize that the suggestion that you tried didn't work. I am glad that friend can solder this for you.

Don't hesitate to get a hold of me in the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR 2006: Unlocking driver's side door with key sets off alarm