Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

knocking noise

Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 PM

knocking noise

Hey, I have been hearing a "knocking" (tapping) noise that seems to be coming from the left front tire area. Or at least that seems to be the area. When I idle no noise. As I drive I hear it and the faster I go the faster the knocking is. I took it to my mechanic and he has no clue! He put it on the hoist and rotated the tires....still knocking. He has no idea what it is and told me to drive it for a "week or three" and if it gets worse let him know. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The mechanic doesn't think it's the wheel bearing, not sure if he even checked it. I have a 2006 HHR. If anyone could come up with something plz let me know. We are going to take it to the chevy dealer next week.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ginginee
Hey, I have been hearing a "knocking" (tapping) noise that seems to be coming from the left front tire area. Or at least that seems to be the area. When I idle no noise. As I drive I hear it and the faster I go the faster the knocking is. I took it to my mechanic and he has no clue! He put it on the hoist and rotated the tires....still knocking. He has no idea what it is and told me to drive it for a "week or three" and if it gets worse let him know. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? The mechanic doesn't think it's the wheel bearing, not sure if he even checked it. I have a 2006 HHR. If anyone could come up with something plz let me know. We are going to take it to the chevy dealer next week.
My knock occurred when I hit a bump in the road...not on smooth surfaces. Turned out to be a stablizier link.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:15 PM

This knock is always when the wheel is turning even on smooth roads.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 AM

I would suggest having your mechanic inspect the CV Joint on the Axle Shaft closest to the wheel. You might have a torn or ripped CV Boot, which could have allowed road debris and moisture in. The CV Joint may be going back, especially if it is always knocking when you are turning.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
I would suggest having your mechanic inspect the CV Joint on the Axle Shaft closest to the wheel. You might have a torn or ripped CV Boot, which could have allowed road debris and moisture in. The CV Joint may be going back, especially if it is always knocking when you are turning.
DITTO-Especially if only when turning. Only other thing you can do is see if your front tire is rubbing when cranking the wheel either direction
Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
especially if it is always knocking when you are turning.
Originally Posted by Scrivs
DITTO-Especially if only when turning.
I may be wrong but I think you guys may be misinterpreting what the OP means. In this case when they say when the wheel is turning I think they mean when the wheel is rotating.

When I idle no noise. As I drive I hear it and the faster I go the faster the knocking is.
Not knowing what kind of tapping/knocking this noise is makes me wonder if something could be stuck in the tire.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:56 AM

It can't be in the tire as he rotated the tires for me and the "knocking" continues. It's constant noise while I am driving....going straight or turning.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:11 AM

Does the noise increase or decrease with the speed of the car? I'm sorry I see now that it is speed sensitive-has to be CV or wheel hub related.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Thank you all. I'll have the mechanic check the CV
Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 PM

Sounds like a hub bearing let go... Mine went out at a little over 30K and it was covered under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: knocking noise