Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Bad smell

Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Bad smell

The ventalation system has a bad smell like puke or something and I check the filter and thought that was the culprit but it was not. Where is the inlet for the heater system? Any other idea's these xmas trees are getting expensive....
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM

I have a 2011 and I had this issue.The local dealer installed a"dryer kit",I am not sure if it has helped because it is cold now.They claim it is due to the air conditioner not drying out or something to that effect.The dealer left a plastic plug in my floorboard and my waterfall panel is not lined up,I guess the dealers cant take the time to do things properly.I love the HHR but the next vehicle wont be a GM.Poor quality and terrible customer service for sure.All I expect is something done right,OK, that you make a mistake in the design but please take the time to properly fix it and get all the parts in the right place and get the panels in proper.Good luck and ask about the dryer kit but you might have to watch them to make sure the job is done proper.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Thanks when I get home I will go see my dealer..
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by thumper11463
I have a 2011 and I had this issue.The local dealer installed a"dryer kit",I am not sure if it has helped because it is cold now.They claim it is due to the air conditioner not drying out or something to that effect.The dealer left a plastic plug in my floorboard and my waterfall panel is not lined up,I guess the dealers cant take the time to do things properly.I love the HHR but the next vehicle wont be a GM.Poor quality and terrible customer service for sure.All I expect is something done right,OK, that you make a mistake in the design but please take the time to properly fix it and get all the parts in the right place and get the panels in proper.Good luck and ask about the dryer kit but you might have to watch them to make sure the job is done proper.
A dryer? did he install a washer too lol. The only dryer I know of in a AC system is installed in the AC lines to get moisture out of the freon,I would be interested what type of dryer he installed!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by OregonHHR
The ventalation system has a bad smell like puke or something and I check the filter and thought that was the culprit but it was not. Where is the inlet for the heater system? Any other idea's these xmas trees are getting expensive....
Check the drain in the AC system.. The condensate tray collects the moisture and if the drain hole is plugged,holding back the water it can go stall(IE: swamp water) and stink.it can also get in the carpet...please let us known what you find
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

fwiw: I have been the habit of shutting off the A/C about 1 mile from home, w/outside air to dry any possible condensation.

No stink bug here..
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM

I have the same smell from my AC/Vent and it usualy goes away after a couple of minutes. Thanks for the idea though, I may go to the dealer because it is unpleasant.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

There is supposed to be some aerosol spray, that is made for killing that stinky musty smell.

Maybe try Googling it...Like this:

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/q...orize-ac-ducts
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM

The service manager at the dealer called it a dryer kit and said it was a fan that runs to dry out the system after it is shut off after the air has been running.They also claim the system has to be sanitized as well.Maybe the issue is they dont have a drain??I dont know but it is a strange thing to deal with.Have a new car that smells like you are hauling trash....rotten trash at that.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by thumper11463
Maybe the issue is they dont have a drain??.
They do have a drain.....
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...16&postcount=2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad smell