Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Suspension Problems/noise?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Suspension Problems/noise?

This morning I started hearing noises as though my HHR is bottoming out. It doesn't sit low or ride extra bouncy...just noisy. It the front I hear the bed spring noise on speed bumps and other usual obstacles like portruding manhole covers. In back Im hear little thuds. I took a look and nothing "looks" out of place.

Is this possibly a cold weather thing? Has anybody had or heard about a similar issue? It just hit the teens here recently and that's new for the chevy. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary...its been driven more lately because its now the only car between my wife and I. Help!

As far as the "take it to the dealer" response, the dealer is 30 minutes away and paying a visit is a tremendous inconvenience (i.e. a day off from work, etc.). I just want to be sure that a sacrifice like that is absolutely necessary.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 PM

I have had no noise at all with my HHR, and we just went through 16" of snow and 0 degree temperatures. Also this is the second winter I have had my car and no problems with cold or snow. If it were me I would get it checked out, but I understand what you are saying about your dealer. Mine is 45 miles away, and is a huge inconvienece.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I have had no noise at all with my HHR, and we just went through 16" of snow and 0 degree temperatures. Also this is the second winter I have had my car and no problems with cold or snow. If it were me I would get it checked out, but I understand what you are saying about your dealer. Mine is 45 miles away, and is a huge inconvienece.
*sigh*

This is NOT supposed to happen on a brand new car. If I wanted to bother with this crap I would've kept my 96 Buick. Thanks for the reply.

ps.
my response in not directed at you!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Take a look and make sure nothing got caught in the suspension. I take it yours is not lowered or anything?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Take a look and make sure nothing got caught in the suspension. I take it yours is not lowered or anything?
Nope. Not lowered. Only mod I've made anywhere close to the suspension was the factory 17" wheels. It came with 16's. I took a quick look this morning; I'll really get up under it after work.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by teech
Nope. Not lowered. Only mod I've made anywhere close to the suspension was the factory 17" wheels. It came with 16's. I took a quick look this morning; I'll really get up under it after work.
I believe the two tire sizes are the same overall height. Look around the shocks/struts and make sure they are dry. Just kinda odd both ends are making noise at the same time. But it may be just one problem and sound is being transmitted. Bottoming out sound like a blown shock.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I believe the two tire sizes are the same overall height. Look around the shocks/struts and make sure they are dry. Just kinda odd both ends are making noise at the same time. But it may be just one problem and sound is being transmitted. Bottoming out sound like a blown shock.
will do. What types of things will cause a shock to blow?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by teech
will do. What types of things will cause a shock to blow?
In this case, just a bad shock. I highly doubt it got over loaded, unless you were playing a little dukes of hazzard.....

Also look at the rest of the suspension components, might also be a broken bolt.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Mine does the same thing! If I go over a high speed bump (as opposed to the wider, lower ones) I get a scraping type sound in the front. I've only had it since June but already have 10,000 miles on it. Still, I don't think this should be happening.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Hey Teech, I've had similar noises in mine. My noise shows up only when the weather gets very cold. We had a week long cold snap where it was around the zero F mark and I would hear noises going over bumps and going into and out of my driveway. I think it had something to do with the shock fluid not being able to maintain proper dynamic properties due to the cold weather.

I've never really experienced any noises on warm days and I've had my HHR on a number of logging roads and other pretty rough conditions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Problems/noise?