General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Do slim jims work on 2010 hhr's?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Do slim jims work on 2010 hhr's?

We just got back from dinner and the keys are still in the ignition and I pressed the lock button and somehow it still locked the doors.

I dont remember If the keys were pulled out or not.

The windshield is cracked so we might just break it

Can we possibly get a duplicate key from a dealership without the original?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Deceased

Well before you resort to taking out some glass, check out these links....

http://www.towman.com/carentry/lockout_11_05.html

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/dd-locked-keys-hhr-20889/

Or call a locksmith or the AAA if you're a member, I think with proof of ownership and the VIN a dealer might be able to cut a key, but I'm not 100% on that.

There's also OnStar if you've got it.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 AM

This is why there is a hidden button under my HHR that unlocks the doors.

For a real long time when I had my Buick Regal, my wife {who was my girlfriend then} would say she was going to wait in the car when I would visit someone.

After an hour or so she would come in. She, invariably, would lock the car with the keys in it. I always left the keys for her to be able to run the engine for the air conditioning or heater {depending on if it was hot or cold outside}

I started carrying a spare door key in my wallet but sometimes it would be missing too. I figured out which wire to tap and put a switch under a fender that would cause the electric door lock to cycle and unlock the door.

You could probably spend the better part of a day finding where exactly I have my hidden button but once you do all you need to do is press it once and the doors are unlocked.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

No onstar

No AAA

how about drilling a hole in the window or windshield and sticking a small hanger thick wire to trip the door locks?

Grizzly: that doesnt really help me
Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Deceased

If you try to drill the glass, you'll break it, the windshield will shatter, the side glass will basically explode.

If you have to resort to breaking a window, break out the quarter light in the back door, then carefully remove the broken glass before trying to reach in and pull up the lock knob.

The quarter lights are the "cheapest" piece of glass in an HHR. That being said, an emergency visit from a locksmith will still be less costly than breaking out some glass.

This is one of those, "no good news" deals I'm sorry to say.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by hhrumadbruh
No onstar

No AAA

how about drilling a hole in the window or windshield and sticking a small hanger thick wire to trip the door locks?

Grizzly: that doesnt really help me
No I guess it would not help you now, but mayhaps in the not so distant future you could install such a switch and not ever have this happen again.

BTW my comprehensive insurance would cover a broken window, with my policy there is no deductible on glass.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Call "Pop-A-Lock" or whatever your local locksmith emergency service is called. They are cheaper than what the glass will cost you.

FWIW. Those that can "slim jim" a car, carefully pry back the top edge of the door away from the car body. Insert a wedge to hold it apart. Then insert the slim jim or wire through that space between the door and weatherstrip. Yes,a door edge can be bowed out. Just gotta be careful. Done it many times before. Legally,I might add!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Call "Pop-A-Lock" or whatever your local locksmith emergency service is called. They are cheaper than what the glass will cost you.

FWIW. Those that can "slim jim" a car, carefully pry back the top edge of the door away from the car body. Insert a wedge to hold it apart. Then insert the slim jim or wire through that space between the door and weatherstrip. Yes,a door edge can be bowed out. Just gotta be careful. Done it many times before. Legally,I might add!
Are you talking the top of the door or the window/door lock area?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM

If mods let me post this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUecyl0L9g

You would try this
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hhrumadbruh
Are you talking the top of the door or the window/door lock area?
He is talking the door (top between door and body) and we do this all the time . You'll need a rod that can catch/push on to the electric door lock switch to open it.

Here is what we use.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 04-09-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added pic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do slim jims work on 2010 hhr's?