Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Loud humming noise.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Loud humming noise.

The past few weeks I have been hearing a loud humming noise from the front end area. The noise seems to increase with speed up to about 70mph then barely noticeable. I could feel sound vibration through the gas pedal.
The tires are the original Firestone Firehawk GTA 03's with 64k miles. The fronts were a little more worn than the backs, so I rotated the tires. I still hear the noise, but do not feel it in the gas pedal.
I had been reading about problems with front unit bearings going out aroun 60k miles. There isn't any play in the wheels when I checked the bearings.
New rotors were installed about a month ago. No more brake pulsing or shake.

Anyone have this problem before? Is it just the tires? I plan on changing them soon.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Have you tried jacking up the front & in neutral turn a wheel ? Should be a smooth spin...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 AM

I'll try that out tommorow.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lake Runner
Anyone have this problem before? Is it just the tires? I plan on changing them soon.
Hub bearing... Definitive... Its more noticeable if you make a turn when you straight over 45 mph?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Have you tried jacking up the front & in neutral turn a wheel ? Should be a smooth spin...
Sleeper, I had the same issue as this (you posted on my thread). I changed the driver´s side hub bearing (mine had a humming noise and vibration when turn right). I did a test spinning the wheel on the passenger side... No noise... I changed many stuff on my hhr. Then, one day I removed the passenger side hub bearing and guess what? this was the cause!!! Now my hhr ride is smooth.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM

Mine makes a chirping noise, that is consistent to speed. It doesn't do it when you apply the brakes, or turn right. Would this be a hub assembly? I did "fall" off a loading dock a good 5 feet or so, and I saw online that a jump could break the hub assembly....
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM

I did "fall" off a loading dock a good 5 feet or so,

You, what?????

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
You, what?????

Yeah, it was 2am in a Meijer parking lot. There were no lights back there. Didn't see it coming.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Wish we had a video for youtube.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Wish we had a video for youtube.
Yeah, it was quite surprising.

To be honest, it was the Lumina. The HHR is put away, I just hate asking questions about it here, since it doesn't pertain to the HHR...

The force of the impact turned each mirror down, and shut my radio off. I didn't do any damage (I think). Unless I broke the hub... Scraped the front and rear bumper, bent the air dam/deflector thing, but you can't really tell. Just scraped the support for the engine, but nothing else. Nothing hurt underneath, no suspension damage or anything. I think I was very lucky on that one! Don't really know how I didn't damage anything. Another thing that puzzles me is how I scraped the rear bumper, but didn't damage the muffler which hangs lower?

It was quite a shock when it happened to be honest....never saw it coming!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud humming noise.