Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door won't unlock with key

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 AM

Door won't unlock with key

first off, my remote key fob does not lock/unlock my doors....hasn't worked in qutie some time. now i have been using the old fashion way of putting the key in the hole and turning. today i went to unlock my car after work and the key would not turn to unlock the door. it felt like something was stuck or lodged or something. i called a locksmith and he tried using a device though the door crack to grab ahold of the lock and pull it up. he got ahold of it but it would not pull up. again something was stuck or something. he was able to do this method on the passenger side door and i got in the car and for s&g i clicked the unlock button.......drivers door lock opened up with no problem.

i haven't fooled with it any since i didn't get home from work till about 3:30am because of this. i will roll the windows down tomorrow and fiddle with it and see what i can find out.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 AM

I had this happen also. It seemed to me that the electronic mechanism was not releasing the lock and was pulling it down. I tried pulling up on the manual lock it's self and felt the resistance from the electronics.

When I pressed the button to release the lock it popped up no problem. I cycled the lock a few times with the door button and then was able to pull up on the manual lock by the window and the key would turn it as well.

Cheers
Doc
Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
first off, my remote key fob does not lock/unlock my doors....hasn't worked in qutie some time. now i have been using the old fashion way of putting the key in the hole and turning. today i went to unlock my car after work and the key would not turn to unlock the door. it felt like something was stuck or lodged or something. i called a locksmith and he tried using a device though the door crack to grab ahold of the lock and pull it up. he got ahold of it but it would not pull up. again something was stuck or something. he was able to do this method on the passenger side door and i got in the car and for s&g i clicked the unlock button.......drivers door lock opened up with no problem.

i haven't fooled with it any since i didn't get home from work till about 3:30am because of this. i will roll the windows down tomorrow and fiddle with it and see what i can find out.
I apologize for the time frame in which I am getting you about this. I was off the last two days since I am in the office today and tomorrow. Have you had a chance to look into your door lock since Thursday? Any updates would be great.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM

My key fob stopped working a few weeks ago and I thought I would just use the key. The same thing happened this evening. I went to unlock the driver door and the button would not come up. I could see the knob trying to move when I turned the key, so while the other guy was tugging on the lock knob, I was turning the key. When I turned the key that released the catch so he could lift the knob. I guess I'll need to get a new key fob very soon. I now realize that the decision by GM to only put in one mechanical key lock was definitely a bad idea. Unfortunately, all three of our vehicles (Chev, Pont and GMC) only have one key lock. GM should at least offer a passenger door key lock as a option on ordered vehicles. Not everybody wants to use a key fob and key fobs don't always work.
Does the lock mechanism need lubrication or is there some other preventative maintenance that can keep this from happening in the future?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by macarchie
My key fob stopped working a few weeks ago and I thought I would just use the key. The same thing happened this evening. I went to unlock the driver door and the button would not come up. I could see the knob trying to move when I turned the key, so while the other guy was tugging on the lock knob, I was turning the key. When I turned the key that released the catch so he could lift the knob. I guess I'll need to get a new key fob very soon. I now realize that the decision by GM to only put in one mechanical key lock was definitely a bad idea. Unfortunately, all three of our vehicles (Chev, Pont and GMC) only have one key lock. GM should at least offer a passenger door key lock as a option on ordered vehicles. Not everybody wants to use a key fob and key fobs don't always work.
Does the lock mechanism need lubrication or is there some other preventative maintenance that can keep this from happening in the future?
Please, refresh my memory as to the model year of your HHR?

The dealership couldn't get this resolved for you?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Deceased

My psychic powers, and a quick check of macarchie's profile have confirmed his HHR is a 2008.

Hope this helps Michelle.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 PM

UPDATE: Just got back from the local Chevy dealership. New key fob in hand. Cost = $118. Good. Before I left to go to the dealer, I tested the lock and it worked fine. I have no idea why it wouldn't work last night, but now it is working fine... go figure. I'm not sure I trust the lock, but now that I have a working fob I'm good to go.
Yessir 843de, it is a 2008.
Now I'm curious why it didn't work. If I have a little extra time, I may pull off the door panel and examine the door lock mechanism to see if I can clean, lubricate or adjust something to keep this from happening again.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
I apologize for the time frame in which I am getting you about this. I was off the last two days since I am in the office today and tomorrow. Have you had a chance to look into your door lock since Thursday? Any updates would be great.

Michelle,

I have been experiencing the EXACT same conditions.. I have found a temporary fix though. If you can manage to get the door open, before you lock the door on exit, push the door lock button inside the door ONCE for locking, but before you do so, turn the key in the lock from the outside to lock the door. If you do this right, this has been the fix I have found to work for now. BUT, I am still sick of having to jump through hoops just for a darn door lock to work...
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by macarchie
UPDATE: Just got back from the local Chevy dealership. New key fob in hand. Cost = $118. Good. Before I left to go to the dealer, I tested the lock and it worked fine. I have no idea why it wouldn't work last night, but now it is working fine... go figure. I'm not sure I trust the lock, but now that I have a working fob I'm good to go.
Yessir 843de, it is a 2008.
Now I'm curious why it didn't work. If I have a little extra time, I may pull off the door panel and examine the door lock mechanism to see if I can clean, lubricate or adjust something to keep this from happening again.
Thank you for taking the time to post your visit. I hope you won't have to dig into the door and the lock will continue to work properly with the new remote. How are things going with the vehicle today?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by MeijerLPO
Michelle,

I have been experiencing the EXACT same conditions.. I have found a temporary fix though. If you can manage to get the door open, before you lock the door on exit, push the door lock button inside the door ONCE for locking, but before you do so, turn the key in the lock from the outside to lock the door. If you do this right, this has been the fix I have found to work for now. BUT, I am still sick of having to jump through hoops just for a darn door lock to work...
I realize no one likes to visit the dealership about something like this especially when they are out of the Bumper To Bumper warranty, but by chance have you taken the vehicle in for this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door won't unlock with key