Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front End Noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Front End Noises

I have slightly over 63,000 miles on Tiggers now. Just started developing noises coming from the front when hitting bumps at low speeds. Thought it was the sway bar links again, was making the same sounds as last time. I had to have them replaced before at around 24,000 miles. Come to find out the driver side strut is leaking and needs to be replaced. Bushing on lower driver side control arm is coming apart and arm to be replaced. And finally, both sway bar links are shot. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. Seems like I should plan on replacing the sway bar links at around every 36,000 miles.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM

Greetings,

I'm experiencing a noise as well from the right front whenever the two front wheels are "not level" if that makes any sense. Think about a street with an overfilled patch on one side, the wheel going over this patch rises in relation to the other side. This is when I notice a knocking sound. The thing is though that I just had the front struts replaced.

What would you suggest I have looked at?

Thanks,

Geoff.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 AM

First, I would check the bushings on both of the swat bar links. Second, look over all the bushings in the lower control arms and the strut top mounting plate. Third, do a nut/bolt check the top mounting plate of the strut (located under the hood on the wheel well) and all other nut/bolts associated with the struts. If the noise still persist - take it back to were you had them installed and make them check for loose bolts or take it to a dealer.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Take it to the dealer, if under warrentee, unfortunately these are a problem spot on HHRs and your not the only one.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Just my 2 cents , but forget the stock suspension components. They are crapola!. Moog has a very good sway bar end-link that is greaseable (reasonably priced and easy to replace on your own), and polyurethane bushings for the sway bay (the ones that hold the sway bar to the body) are the only ones that will stay quiet. As for struts, Monroe has a "quick strut" that comes with the spring and the new top plate/and bearing. AC Delco makes a very good rear shock (Part # AC 560-547), heavy duty but a little pricey($60 ea). I did all 4 corners of my '08 recently, and it rides/drives like new.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Update - thunking persist even though driver side repairs were done. Back to the shop on Friday. Going to have them look at the tie rod ends as well this time.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Lightbulb Front end Noises

I myself have had some noises. I had a thumping type sound, That was a front wheel bearing. I also had a banging going over bumps, that was a lower steering shaft. I also had the 'front end mechanics' tightened which seemed to cover a few odd & end noises. These may or may not be similiar to your experiences, but I thought I would let you know what I had & what was done to fix the problems, in case you encounter the same. I know these descriptions are vague, broad-ranged, & very generally described, but the dealer done the repairs under my 'SAG WARRANTY' since I had just purchased the vehicle 2/17/2011. If this helps you in at least some way, then I'm glad to offer you my experience with some noises. Now, I Also have a question. I have a rattle in my dash & can't pin-point it, just that it is in the driver's side. What could I do to find out what it could be without tearing the dash apart? (I can deal with it if I have to.) It is when I go over some bounces, but where I live, the streets are somewhat of an off-road experience, riddeled with pot-holes & railroad tracks that are enough to rattle your insides. So I Know Sooner then Later, I Will Have More & More bangs & rattles in time to come, so the dash rattle Most Definetely Would Return.
Hope this helps somebody!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM

I also have clunking in my '06. My buddy, a mechanic, said the only thing he saw underneath was a sway bar end kink starting to go bad. I know its more than just a sway bar link. Only clunks over minor bumps at low speeds and seems to gradually be getting a little worse by the month. I'm gonna have it gone through this spring soon. its driving me nuts. my wifes friend from work has on '08 and hers clunks too.

Brian
Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 PM

Smile

I'm going to have my mechanic (who also is a friend of mine) check out the underneath to see if there is anything else going bad. The dealer was supposed to have done all of that when I had them do the work the other day, but I am still going to have it looked at again to be sure. That dash rattle is still driving me nuts though!