Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

FE1 to FE5

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 PM

FE1 to FE5

Okay, I have read a bunch of things on the subject. I still don't get a clear picture as to whether a swap from FE1 to FE5 suspension without any mods is possible. 1- is it possible and 2- is it practical.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

its up to you what you want to do...it's a straight swap of springs and shocks/struts..everything matches up...just going from a softer ride to a more stiffer/controlled ride..and if you do put on the fe5 put on a rear sway bar as well...you can also do fe3 if you dont want to go too stiff
Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Deceased

FE5s area a ton stiffer
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM

I am heading in the direction of a more "controlled" suspension, so I think this will do the trick.

Also, in your opinions would you do a straight swap or go with aftermarket parts ?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

CJ, a ton stiffer is a bit strong. GM/AC/Delco states the springs, struts and shocks are 30% more stiff than the FE3.....if they told me the truth (when I made the switch).
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM

My opinion: Unless you are going to the autocross, There isn't much difference between FE3 and FE5...I had both...The SS is a bit stiffer, but The FE3 I had in my 2.4l wasn't too shabby either...The only car I had with the FE1 was a cobalt LS...and I could whip around in that pretty good too...some others may have different opinions. Is it stiffer? definitely... But if you ever drive anything else(in my case a trailblazer,old accord), this platform is pretty agile (to answer your question about practicality)

One thing to invest in is the rear sway bar instead

Oh and you may be able to find "used" FE3 oem parts much cheaper than aftermarket, mostly because so many people on the SS's switch to aftermarket, and people with the FE3 upgrading also
Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
My opinion: Unless you are going to the autocross, There isn't much difference between FE3 and FE5...I had both...The SS is a bit stiffer, but The FE3 I had in my 2.4l wasn't too shabby either...The only car I had with the FE1 was a cobalt LS...and I could whip around in that pretty good too...some others may have different opinions. Is it stiffer? definitely... But if you ever drive anything else(in my case a trailblazer,old accord), this platform is pretty agile (to answer your question about practicality)

One thing to invest in is the rear sway bar instead

Oh and you may be able to find "used" FE3 oem parts much cheaper than aftermarket, mostly because so many people on the SS's switch to aftermarket, and people with the FE3 upgrading also
Good info, Thanks. My intentions are as a daily driver but with "sportier" handling.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by FatTireBiker
Okay, I have read a bunch of things on the subject. I still don't get a clear picture as to whether a swap from FE1 to FE5 suspension without any mods is possible. 1- is it possible and 2- is it practical.
Going all the way from FE1 to FE5 may not be neccasary. One thing to think about is you would also be going from 16" tires to 18" tires and wheels adding drastically to your final cost and a definetly harsher ride.
I think many here would support an FE3 with a Turbo Tech Rear sway bar as a good choice.
I would try it with your 16" tires with 32lbs. cold.

Whatcha got for power ??

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 12-18-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Going all the way from FE1 to FE5 may not be neccasary. One thing to think about is you would also be going from 16" tires to 18" tires and wheels adding drastically to your final cost and a definatly harsher ride.
I think many here would support an FE3 with a Turbo Tech Rear sway bar as a good choice.
I would try it with your 16" tires with 32lbs. cold.

Whatcha got for power ??

SF
This is a stock '10 Panel, 2.2l. Thanks for the info
Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by FatTireBiker
This is a stock '10 Panel, 2.2l. Thanks for the info
read my post again as I added some more info.