Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How do you remove the A/C vents?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM

How do you remove the A/C vents?

My a/c vent on my driver side dash is broken and would like to replace it. is there a way to remove it with out taking apart the dash?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM

You won't have to take the dash apart, in fact, the repair is fairly easy. You should find this post helpful:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...&postcount=125
Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 AM

hey Canesfinsfan83

If you end up trying to remove them...let me know if you get them out. I tryed for an hour one day and I couldn't get the outter vents to budge. The center vents come out pretty easy (just have to remove the radio surround). I was wanting to take mine, take'em apart...and paint the "chrome"....but..it didn't happen
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm pretty sure that Canesfinsfan83 merely talking about replacing the air outlet vanes. Semi-common occurrence on these cars (especially if kids ride in them!). You don't have to remove the vents themselves to do that.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 PM

Agree with db/sb that the OP wants to repair his vents. My elderly Dad broke one of mine – not kids.

db/sb,
Thanks for the info on the repair procedure – nice to know.

KissMy,
Try using a magic marker to darken the chrome. This is how I did mine – does not have the best of looks, but it is OK until I have some other reason to remove the dash.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Can't you get at the side vents to remove them by removing the panels on the sides of the dash? I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with one of the other cars and I can't go out and look because my wife is at work with the HHR. Oh and I can't really take credit for that info. That's ChevyMgr's post......all I did was link to it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

yeah i was just looking to replace the vanes. kind of a stupid design, all the other ones wont stay open when you put the a/c on max.... thanx again guys!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 PM

I Wish

Originally Posted by db/sb
Can't you get at the side vents to remove them by removing the panels on the sides of the dash?
The side vents are visible by removing the side panels. Removal no.

The problem(s) are, at least on the drivers side, I haven’t looked at the passenger side:
A very inflexible source duct that can be loosened, but not pushed out of the way.
Three screws, one(left upper) that is removable from the side panel; a lower screw that can be accessed by removing the upper steering column trim and the IP trim. Such as in the first part of this thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/turn-signal-canceling-failure-fix-lots-pics-37992/
But the real kicker is that upper right screw, which I have found no easy way to get to. This screw and the ductwork are the problem.

If anyone has done this without removing the dash I would certainly like to hear about it.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the explaination. I wasn't sure if I'd ever been in there on the HHR but, after reading that, I realize now that I haven't. I would have remembered that experience!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Unhappy Good Morning

I my center left and my far left vents are broken.. where can I buy new ones I have searched all over high and low..

if possible let me know and how much

Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you remove the A/C vents?