General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Turbocharger

Hello

I intend to have a turbo installed in my '08 HHR 3 window panel later on this summer. I know very little about Turbos.

1. I would like to hear pros and cons about Turbos.
2. Would you install one on yours?
3. What would be the total cost, plus labor?
4. Do they hold up without too much maintenance?
5. What are maintenance problems?
6. Do they use more gasoline when driven normally?

I am sure there have been discussions about turbos here before but things change I would like to hear some fresh ideas. Any discussion will be appreciated.

Boydie

Last edited by Blue Beast (aka Boydie); 03-24-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: name wrong
Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie
Hello

I intend to have a turbo installed in my '08 HHR 3 window panel later on this summer. I know very little about Turbos.

1. I would like to hear pros and cons about Turbos.
They work very well.
I would buy a good kit from a good company like ZZP
2. Would you install one on yours?
It's a lot easier to buy a car today, with a factory turbo.
3. What would be the total cost, plus labor?
DIY is best , or have a company like ZZP, do the install.
4. Do they hold up without too much maintenance?
Yes
5. What are maintenance problems?
Poor care, by the owner , not using good oil.
6. Do they use more gasoline when driven normally?
No, but your mileage will be worst, as you will like the power.

I am sure there have been discussions about turbos here before but things change I would like to hear some fresh ideas. Any discussion will be appreciated.

Boyde
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 AM

Totally concur with 2005hhrauto, I have an unfinished custom turbo setup on a Saturn l series. Has been a huge learning experience and a lot of cost. To do it right is much more than just bolting one on, really engine should be built for it, ie forged internals, compression ratio should be lowered to allow boosting without pre detonation. Have to often upgrade fuel system and injectors, install wide band oxygen sensor and retune car ecm. Also have to add different map sensor and even then sometimes ecm os won't read boost so you have to do some creative tuning or go with an aftermarket system. In my case noone made a kit for my car so I paid someone $1000 to weld piping together and fit intercooler. Then HP tuners was supposed to work to tune my ecm but it would not, so had to buy a piggy back computer system to wire into ecm. something went wrong there and that is why it is still an unfinished project. In addition looks like I will need to install an oil catch can and modify crankcase ventilation system. In short this time I chose to buy factory installed turbo and all I have to do is tune it myself or pay someone to tune for more power. Unless I decide to go for 500 or more HP.

There is a lot of info out there if you choose to do it anyway, just keep reading and learning, and have another vehicle you can drive while that one is down. That being said I love turbos. Also since there are turbo hhr and cobalts it might be easier than what I had and there are kits you can buy which simplifies things somewhat.