HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Dual Pod A-Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Dual Pod A-Pillar

Not a big fan of multi-pod A-pillars, think 3 pods is over the top but maybe two might be nice. Especially now that Areoforce has a twin gauge set-up, enabling us to run two off the same port. So I started to fabricate my own dual pod A-Pillar. I'm a long ways from finished but had to see what it looked like in the vehicle. As I said still lots of work yet to do, shape isn't quite perfect yet, so back to the grinder tonight. But it is coming along nicely. Process forces me into smoothing down the whole pillar as well - no more textured plastic (I couldn't duplicate that look), which means removing it from both pillars. Current look is in a rough primer and it doesn't look good but coming along well enough that I'm not embarrassed to share. Basic shape is there, I'll be taking it down so the gap, gauge to outer pod edge, is marginal as is the case with the original. Running 2 Areoforce gauges simultaneously is so cool, no more having to skimp on what I want to display. Need to take a picture of the driver's view - looks so much better, but you can't see the shape which is what I thought people would want to see.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 PM

looks good so far, good job!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 PM

great job looks like its coming along well
Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM

I'm thinking of running two, and trying to mount them above the column on the gauge surround. How natural is the viewing position?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM

That's not bad! Kudos on the innovation. Let us see more once it's finished, then figure out how to mass produce them. I'll bet I'll be in line to get one from you.

Later
Allex
Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
I'm thinking of running two, and trying to mount them above the column on the gauge surround. How natural is the viewing position?
I'm now back re-constructing the unit so unable to take more pictures, but the position off the add-on pod is very prominent, with the display far more visible than the existing boast gauge. The result of being higher and located, slightly to the right of the pillar.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM

nice job!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM

I have a second Aeroforce gauge, waiting in it's box for a dual pod A-pillar. If you decide to mass produce the dual unit, count me in to buy one.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM

Nice work man, but what are you trying to display? I'm new to the turbo world and just thought I'd ask the dumb question. Really though..it looks cool!!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by *jerdog*
Nice work man, but what are you trying to display? I'm new to the turbo world and just thought I'd ask the dumb question. Really though..it looks cool!!!!
To tell ya the truth, I haven't yet decided. I believe I have the selection of something like 63 different items to monitor and with two gauges I can display 4 at a time and can set two alerts (i.e. over temperature, boast level, shift point, etc....). I'll set-up each monitor to cycle thru a different set of selection options, but just off the top of my head, I'd like to digitally display boast, temperature (water, oil, intake air?), mph (since I can't see the standard gauge), knock retard, HP, rpm - hmmm, I might need a third gauge

Should have pics of the finished product later this week, if I don't mess up the painting

Quick Reply: Dual Pod A-Pillar