Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problems in front end

Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Problems in front end

There has been a humming noise coming from under the front end. At higher speeds it gets louder, but there is no difference in the sound when I turn. I jacked up both sides and did the "wiggle" test but it didn't seem to move very much if at all. Could it still be the wheel hub or something else?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Deceased

Most of the time, a hum or grinding sound in the front end can be traced back to a bad hub. Before you go that route, make sure you check the front brakes, if the pads are down to the wear indicators(noise makers if the truth be told), you can get a droning sound too.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Xandict
There has been a humming noise coming from under the front end. At higher speeds it gets louder, but there is no difference in the sound when I turn. I jacked up both sides and did the "wiggle" test but it didn't seem to move very much if at all. Could it still be the wheel hub or something else?
What is the model year and trim level of your HHR? How many miles do you have on the vehicle? What did the dealership tell you about your concerns?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 PM

2007 HHR LT 5-speed with about 44,000 miles. Haven't contacted a dealer as I think my warranty is up.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Just had 2 new tires on the front and new brake pads. It still humms at highway speed. While the tires were off done the wiggle test on the hub and almost shook the car off the stand. They are solid, no wiggle. Tie rods seemed good too. Anything else this might be?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Deceased

You can have a hub going bad that will pass the "wiggle test", when you get enough play in them so that they feel "loose", they are pretty well gone at that point.

There is a way to check for hub bearing noise with the vehicle running and the wheels turning, its done one side at a time, and its very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing.(You can be killed or seriously injured, that goes for others nearby, so only trained techs should do this.)

Or the tech can use measuring tools with dial indicators to detect lateral and radial play that is undetectable by giving things a "wiggle".

You may want to go somewhere else and have it checked, also have the rear tires checked out for cupping or odd wear patterns.

Noise travels in vehicles and you can have a problem in the back that sounds like its right in front of you.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM

It could be your new tires.... I just got rid of a set of unbelievably noisy tires.

Eliminate the simple stuff first.

Yves
Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Was happening with old tires too
Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
You can have a hub going bad that will pass the "wiggle test", when you get enough play in them so that they feel "loose", they are pretty well gone at that point.

There is a way to check for hub bearing noise with the vehicle running and the wheels turning, its done one side at a time, and its very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing.(You can be killed or seriously injured, that goes for others nearby, so only trained techs should do this.)

Or the tech can use measuring tools with dial indicators to detect lateral and radial play that is undetectable by giving things a "wiggle".

You may want to go somewhere else and have it checked, also have the rear tires checked out for cupping or odd wear patterns.

Noise travels in vehicles and you can have a problem in the back that sounds like its right in front of you.
Mike, have you been spying on me!
The other day my daughter was in town for a visit. Ask me to look at her Honda Civic that had a "wah wah "noise in the left front. After a test drive, I took it and jacked up the left front. I told her to "stand clear",started the car, put it in gear and very carefully eased off the brake until the left wheel was turning. Was a little leery of the right side trying to get traction.
Long story short, it was a bad tire and nobody got hurt by my little diagnosis procedure. But, as Mike said, doing this can be very dangerous!
Took her to the store the next day and got that tire replaced.
(Sorry to highjack this thread a little)
Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Deceased

Not spying on you George, I've done it myself, and its something that has to be done with great care as you know. Its never good to have your car become an "unguided missile".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems in front end