"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to fix broken interior door handle for less than $10

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Technical Moderator

I open & close my driver door 20-30 times a day for the last 4 years. How come my handle is just fine still? Is it luck? or do I just close the door properly? With the grip right there why would anyone want to go out of their way to pull on the handle, seems un natural and more work to me. It just has never even occurred to me to grab it, or was it Dad's "training" in his Imperial.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 AM

My mom broke the door handle on my car.. I called the dealer and he quoted me $100.00. I told him I don't want to buy the door, just the handle.. He said that price is for an aftermarket handle.. If I went with GM it would cost $300.00.. You would think that they could make the part out of metal, or a stronger plastic at least.. Why do they feel the need to charge so much for the part?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 AM

$100 for the part alone or installed?

If installed, it would be a reasonable charge at dealer labor rates for a Dorman kit. Dorman came up with an aftermarket solution for the broken handle. Chevrolet only sells it as a part of the entire door panel.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
If installed, it would be a reasonable charge at dealer labor rates for a Dorman kit. Dorman came up with an aftermarket solution for the broken handle. Chevrolet only sells it as a part of the entire door panel.
The $100.00 part was without them installing it.. Just sayin'
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Dealer ripoff

You can get the aftermarket part online for less. A dealer charging a major markup of a non-GM part, without offering to install it, is utter nonsense.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Well, I got the door panel off and epoxied the handle back together. I just made sure to build up the epoxy in the areas that I could to help strengthen where it broke.. I think it is a very poor design. I was able to take the door apart without any special tools, with the exception of the torx driver to get the two screws out and the one bolt out. One tip I can give, when you pop the door panel off, one or more of the plastic "pins" that hold the panel in place may not come out with the panel. I am sure this has been discussed before.. What I used to get the remaining "pins' out, was an ordinary claw hammer.. You hook the claw in the gap on the pin, put some pressure on the hammer, then BINK! the pin comes out.. It went together a lot easier then it came apart i think..
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Nice article Pimphand, just broke the driver ten minutes ago, you'd think chevy would have fix that downer after a couple of years. Maybe there's a better handle out now?

Well door panel off, repaired handle, but I tried something different. Looking for JB weld on bench and around couldn't find any soooo I mixed a little bondo together and filled in all the voids and modified the thickness. well waiting for a good cure and clean it up and will let you know. go no go. At least I'll be the one who snaps the bone.

Last edited by Roscoemaries; 12-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM

Angry Not so "on the head"

Originally Posted by 843de
Interesting fix and a nice write up Pimphand.

Yeah, you it on the head whopper, those handles will break if used to close the doors, my wife found that out the hard way.

Maybe big labels on the inner door panels with "Use this one to open the door" and "Use this on to close the door" would have helped, or a notation in the owner's manuals about using the pretty chrome thingy to close the doors at your own risk.
I have had two handles break in less than 6 months...BOTH BEING OPENED FROM THE INSIDE!!!!! Very poor design and/or materials. I also reinforced my replacement from Doorman. I will do the same to this one. Only two more to go?????

I also have learned to open the doors with extreme caution. Should I have to do that? Should I have to teach my passengers to do it? What about an honest "face the music" from GM? There are obviously more than enough examples of this to go around.

I have been a Chevy fan all of my life (Thanks to my Dad also.), but I am begining to regret buying this one. Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by mojobubba; 06-13-2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

You broke two handles? Both on the same door? Were the chrome handles used to close the door(s)?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Broken door handle replacement

FYI: Go to GM Parts Superstore.com
Go to, Body hardware/Front door/Interior trim.
Door handle , item #9. $62.70

Havesed them, great service.

Quick Reply: How to fix broken interior door handle for less than $10