Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Car show tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Car show tips

CAR SHOW TIPS

This is a rundown on what judges look for when entering a car show where judging will be taking place.

Keys: To try to make these areas as clean as you can.

Part 1: Exterior

Main body- Paint, finish and sheetmetal including doors/door jams, hood/underhood, trunklid, fenders.

Hardware- Glass, chrome items, lights, wipers, hindges, latches accessories.

Part 2: Interior

Upholstry- Seats, door panels, headliner, floor, floor mats, custom additions.

Hardware- Dashboard, steering wheel and column, window frames, consoles, etc...

Part 3: Engine Compartment

Engine- Block, intake system, exhaust system, electrical components, radiator.

Other- Wiring, hoses, firewall, side panels, etc...

Part 4: Chassis

Stationary- Undercarriage, axles, suspension, frame, steering, transmission.

Moving- Wheels, tires, wheels covers, shocks, etc...

Part 5: Miscellaneous

Documentation, saftey equipment, tools, overall presentation.

NOTE: Not all judges will look for everything listed here. These are just keys to keep in mind as you get your car ready for a car show. Stock cars with minor mods, or none at all will typically be less scrutinized depending on the judge.

Daily driven cars may be more scrutinized to see how well the car was maintained.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 AM

Alot of the shows and shines we go to also require a visible fire extinguisher(passenger floorboard), and a visible first-aid kit(mounted in trunk area).
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Alot of the shows and shines we go to also require a visible fire extinguisher(passenger floorboard), and a visible first-aid kit(mounted in trunk area).
The only show I was in that required a fire extinguisher was the Mopar Nationals. Alot of fun. I have been going to shows for 3 years now. Just like the first post states. As long as everything is clean and presentable, mods look good and clean, then you will be fine. Judges spend only a couple minutes at your vehicle. Me and my buddies spend hours cleaning, just for the judges to look, run around for 2-3 minutes then move on. Alot of fun though. :)
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rigormortor
The only show I was in that required a fire extinguisher was the Mopar Nationals. Alot of fun. I have been going to shows for 3 years now. Just like the first post states. As long as everything is clean and presentable, mods look good and clean, then you will be fine. Judges spend only a couple minutes at your vehicle. Me and my buddies spend hours cleaning, just for the judges to look, run around for 2-3 minutes then move on. Alot of fun though. :)
Yes it is alot of fun.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM

about 15 years ago, when i would show my '75 Monte, I'd go as far as to have the center caps lined up with the valve stems, and would even try to get the 'raised white's' all lined up.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM

I have shown cars for over 25 years winning at national Pontiac events. I also been a paid judge for over 20 years. I have even run judging at large events up to 1000 cars so I have a good idea what it is like on the other side of thing.

Most shows are done on clean and detail unless it is a show for single makes like Vettes or Camaro's etc.

The Clean and Detail shows there are a lot of really good cars. and for the most good judges don't waste too much time on valve covers and glass. We often first look at things like firewalls and the areas few people clean and then move out to the normaly clean areas like valve covers and wheels.

On my own car have the regular things clean but I go to the details like polishing the floor pan, I keep the black with now swirls even in direct sun. I clean the brakes and inside of the wheels. Door jambs are spotless. These hard to clean items are what make great cars stand out from good cars.

What pains me are the people who have nice cars but leave dirty floor mats in a car for judging. They don't wipe off the bugs on the windshield once they get to the show. Just simple things like this can be the difference between a trophy and no trophy.

Also I see too often judges let personal likes get in the way. This is even hard for me at time. But when I look at a car I don't care if it has a blower or a 2bl. I don't car if it is a Honda, Ford or Chevy. Also I have to bite my lip when I see a Camaro with pink convoluted tubing on ever wire and hose under the hood. At most shows we don't judge taste we judge clean and detail. Just because the only taste some owners have may be in their mouth we can not let that effect our judging. We do not judge taste.

I do hate it when someone brings a faily new car in and gets it judged. Anyone can by a new Mustange and buy a trophy. We too often have new car winners but there is nothing in the rules that keeps them out.

The key to car shows are details, details and you guessed it details. Also go to quality shows. If it is poorly run don't go back. Remember you are not going to win them all.

I can recall many shows I should have won but then again I have taken awards where I feel I should not have. It all balances out in the long run and often it is just a plastic and marble award most times so don't let the ego get in the way.

One thing that helps your odds look for events with classes that address your vehicle well. This puts you against like vehicles like a HHR and PT class It helps your odds. If you go to a show with a class like all cars 1980-2010 it becomes a crap shoot.

And almost always avoid participant judging unless it is restrictes people to a class or two. Otherwise it becomes a populartity contest.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I have shown cars for over 25 years winning at national Pontiac events. I also been a paid judge for over 20 years. I have even run judging at large events up to 1000 cars so I have a good idea what it is like on the other side of thing.

Most shows are done on clean and detail unless it is a show for single makes like Vettes or Camaro's etc.

The Clean and Detail shows there are a lot of really good cars. and for the most good judges don't waste too much time on valve covers and glass. We often first look at things like firewalls and the areas few people clean and then move out to the normaly clean areas like valve covers and wheels.

On my own car have the regular things clean but I go to the details like polishing the floor pan, I keep the black with now swirls even in direct sun. I clean the brakes and inside of the wheels. Door jambs are spotless. These hard to clean items are what make great cars stand out from good cars.

What pains me are the people who have nice cars but leave dirty floor mats in a car for judging. They don't wipe off the bugs on the windshield once they get to the show. Just simple things like this can be the difference between a trophy and no trophy.

Also I see too often judges let personal likes get in the way. This is even hard for me at time. But when I look at a car I don't care if it has a blower or a 2bl. I don't car if it is a Honda, Ford or Chevy. Also I have to bite my lip when I see a Camaro with pink convoluted tubing on ever wire and hose under the hood. At most shows we don't judge taste we judge clean and detail. Just because the only taste some owners have may be in their mouth we can not let that effect our judging. We do not judge taste.

I do hate it when someone brings a faily new car in and gets it judged. Anyone can by a new Mustange and buy a trophy. We too often have new car winners but there is nothing in the rules that keeps them out.

The key to car shows are details, details and you guessed it details. Also go to quality shows. If it is poorly run don't go back. Remember you are not going to win them all.

I can recall many shows I should have won but then again I have taken awards where I feel I should not have. It all balances out in the long run and often it is just a plastic and marble award most times so don't let the ego get in the way.

One thing that helps your odds look for events with classes that address your vehicle well. This puts you against like vehicles like a HHR and PT class It helps your odds. If you go to a show with a class like all cars 1980-2010 it becomes a crap shoot.

And almost always avoid participant judging unless it is restrictes people to a class or two. Otherwise it becomes a populartity contest.
x2 on what hyperv6 said i have judged a lot of shows and one thing i ask the owner of the car that i am about to judge is this a daily driver,if it is i will give some allowance for road rash,if it is a trailer queen it should be perfect.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mityqwik
x2 on what hyperv6 said i have judged a lot of shows and one thing i ask the owner of the car that i am about to judge is this a daily driver,if it is i will give some allowance for road rash,if it is a trailer queen it should be perfect.
You have that right.

I also have one Camaro Show I have judged and they all come through the line and have them looking good. That is till we ask them to roll up the windows. Often the glass gets scratched and they never replace it. I have seen cars restored to the last detail and then they never replace the side glass. It kills them when I make them roll them up.

I have judged enough cars to be able to look at one in a few min and tell if it is a top car or not. So many people miss the same things and only a few take the time to get the little things.

I also hate it when a owner wants to talk and tell me all about the car. I don't mean to be rude but I don't like to be distracted by info that has no bearing on my scoring. So in general do a info card that details what you have done and leave the judges alone.

Also leave the trophys at home. We don't care what you won in the past as it has no bearing on the present show. It is show what you brung.

I have over 100 trophys at home and none should have any influence on my car at the present show..

Displays are ok if they have points for it. But for the most it just gets in the way. They cry babys are so over done that they are more a hinderance than a help for you.

When modifying a car many times less is more. Cars often present better with the right amount of mods and not every mod you can do. At shows where cars are judged on presentation and prepared points often the cars with less present much better.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM

re

like a few here i have a show winning pontiac ws6 in my garage and judged a few in my day as well - my tips added to the ones already mentioned:

leave the judge alone unless he is to ask you something
open your ashtray if you have one and make sure its clean
open you your glove box with only the owners manual in there
clean the INSIDE of your wheels
if you have t-tops prop them open and make sure the jambs are clean - i use
fancy pencils with the erasers cut off for props

until i learned i have lost points neglecting these areas and have deducted points from others

Quick Reply: Car show tips