Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Creaking from rear upon stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Creaking from rear upon stop

Hey all, haven't been on for a while.

Just now I am getting a "creaaaaak" from the rear (brakes?) upon stopping. It doesn't make any noise or have any sign of a problem when applying brakes, just happens when you get to the end of the stop. At that point, I hear a creak noise from the rear. Is this a warranty issue or normal wear and tear? 15,000 miles.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:20 AM

I'd say definitely warranty. Make them resurface all four and do a rotation in the bargain.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM

I took it in this morning and left it. I told the service guy what was wrong and moved the car so he could hear the creak. He told me "Oh, I can make a new corvette do that, I don't think anything is wrong but we'll check it out".

WTF? If new corvettes make that noise then GM deserves to go bankrupt. God I hate service departments.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 AM

Brakes often make different noises at low speed no matter if it is a GM, Toyota, Ford or Honda. Point is it is just not a GM thing. If you don't like your service deparment go to a different one. Not all service departments are bad.

It is not just GM, Corvettes and HHR's.

Besides the Vette has Disc brakes all the way around and they often will make different noises.

On your rear drum a build up of brake dust, glazed shoes/drum, cracked pad matterial or some other simple thing. Either way it is a warranty thing.

Odds are they will turn you drums and replace the shoes and it will be gone.

I got a little noise form my last rear drum brake truck. It would happen once in a while usally when it was wet or damp. But with 100,000 miles on the truck the shoes were still good.

Also my 04 GP with my wife driving [she is hard on brakes] got 63,000 out of dront and rear pads. If she was easier on them I would have seen 80,000.

GM may not be perfect but neither are any of the others. Work on cars for a living and you will find out the truth the press and Consumer Reports will not tell you.

The funny thing things like this the parts like Brakes are often all made by the same company for GM or Toyota. Example look at all the new cars with Brembo Brakes. The company that owns Brembo has made the brakes for most of the companies and cars for years.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
On your rear drum a build up of brake dust, glazed shoes/drum, cracked pad matterial or some other simple thing. Either way it is a warranty thing.

Odds are they will turn you drums and replace the shoes and it will be gone.
Thanks for the advice, and I know all that, but guess what they told me (I know this will shock you terribly so sit down if you aren't already) - they said the noise was normal, they "inspected my rear brakes" and said they were not worn too much and they were OK.

Now for another shocker - they LIED - that's right, they LIED.

Do you know how I know that? Because the factory clips on the studs on the rear drums were still on, hadn't been touched.

So I got off my ass and took the clips off, removed the drums, and bought some aftermarket fixes and applied one of them to the back of the brake pads and another fix to the inside of the drum, cleaned what I could, and put it back together. Guess what! No more noise - go figure! and they said it was normal.

Liers

That's also why I posted about a rear brake tutorial so next time I can take the brakes all apart myself and install new shoes.

You say go to another service Dept.? Thanks for the advice, but I say the service Dept. should actually not LIE and fix my problems. What a concept.

End of rant.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Mike....

If you are absolutely sure, what your repair corrected the problem.....go back to your dealer and ASK for the SERVICE MANAGER and the GENERAL MANAGER. Explain what was repaired and express your TOTAL disappointment with their response, explaining it is not acceptable. They are SUPPOSED to be the professionals and charge accordingly.

I would also call the Chevrolet Customer Service phone number and express the same concerns. It COULD give THE DEALER a black mark in the "performance book".

I believe more people need to express concerns to the appropriate people. Maybe then, sometime in the future, this lying and inadequate service problem can be MINIMIZED.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Most dealers send surverys and you can score it for what they did not do.

I would find another dealer.

GM is looking to off a lot of dealers this year this may be one they can do without.