Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How do i change head light bulbs? and what size are they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM

How do i change head light bulbs? and what size are they?

How do i change the head light bulbs? Where is the access hole to them
Pictures and details would be helpful. :)

and what size bulb do we got in our hhr ?

thanks for any help n advance
HALFpanel

Last edited by halfpanel08; 10-08-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Link to headlight/foglight replacement guide
H13 is the headlight bulb. edit: can also be 9008
And remember site rules:
No free advertisements - If you are the owner or employee of a company, don't mention it, or put links and phone numbers in posts or signatures. Only Supporting Vendors can use links and numbers in signatures and posts.
If you are developing a product, you may talk about it until you have it ready and/or you are taking orders for the product. At that point you must become a Supporting Vendor to be able to promote your products.

No Spamming - No spam in PM's, emails, or signatures. It's OK to have a link back to your personal webpage in your signature but any off-topic spam will be deleted. That includes "helping people" by advertising your site/forums to them or soliciting other members. While these forums are free for you to use they cost money to run.

Last edited by shaginwgn; 10-08-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added bulb info
Old 10-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
H13 is the headlight bulb.
And remember site rules:
No free advertisements - If you are the owner or employee of a company, don't mention it, or put links and phone numbers in posts or signatures. Only Supporting Vendors can use links and numbers in signatures and posts.
If you are developing a product, you may talk about it until you have it ready and/or you are taking orders for the product. At that point you must become a Supporting Vendor to be able to promote your products.

No Spamming - No spam in PM's, emails, or signatures. It's OK to have a link back to your personal webpage in your signature but any off-topic spam will be deleted. That includes "helping people" by advertising your site/forums to them or soliciting other members. While these forums are free for you to use they cost money to run.
So we shouldnt mention we bought something from JC Whitney or GM Parts Direct? cuz they aint supporting members?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Sheesh relax, dude is just relaying the rules.

Paul, your headlamp elements are accessed through your fender wells. Remove a few of those black plastic rivets from the front portion of the fender liner. It helps to have your wheels turned accordingly to get a better access. Peel back the liner and you will see the lamps. Not a hard job and when you remove the ring that hold the bulb to the headlamp, you will see the part number on it. If you go with halogen or HID's make sure you dont let your fingers come in contact with the bulbs, the oil in your skin will pop them when they get hot.

Hey bro, just a thought. Why not save that money toward some leveling springs? Your AA5 is coming along real nice, having that girl leveled will look amazing and they are only like $160.00. Easy to install too.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM

There is no ring holding the bulb in. It is a bayonet mount. Just twist to the bulb assy. to the left and out it comes. Bulb type is H13. Once you replace the bulbs make sure you recheck the headlight beam adjustment. (in owners manual.)

Good luck. I would like to know how it turns out.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
with the bulbs, the oil in your skin will pop them when they get hot.

Hey bro, just a thought. Why not save that money toward some leveling springs? Your AA5 is coming along real nice, having that girl leveled will look amazing and they are only like $160.00. Easy to install too.
I see Don is doing his level best to suggest his favorite mod! LOL

Matt
Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Sigh, I've just started a full hid kit mod. Let me say this is a "doable mod" but it's the little things that eat up time. The SS bumper cover is a biznatch to get off with out breaking things. If anyone is interested i'll do a step by step with pics. PM me a beer too if you can spare one.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM

thanks for all the input guys
i appreciate it. i want hids
over springs at the time
cause i told my buddy id order
a month ago, and its more
useful to me i feel for time being
Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
H13 is the headlight bulb.
And remember site rules:

i fixed the thread
Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 PM

There appears to be an white colored plastic access "bolt" with an allen wrench hex-head under the hood behind each headlamp assembly. Can you remove that "bolt" and thus allow the headlamp assembly to tip forward and out so you can change the bulb? I can't believe you have to tear off splash panels to get to bulbs. Must be a more elegant approach.

Quick Reply: How do i change head light bulbs? and what size are they?