HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade Kit

Happy Holidays everyone! Anyway I got my wife talked into letting me get the stage one kit. Spoke to my brother who works for Chevy and they get no price breaks on that part, their dealership didnt even know the part was available. I had to provide them the part number. I was hoping someone who did the upgrade could give me some insight into the best place to buy the part. I want to make sure I get a quality part and a good deal if possible. Then the next big question is finding a "qualified" GM mechanic that has done these. I dont want to pay for 5 hours labor to have a few new sensors installed and a reprogram. Any help or sharing your experience would be greatly appreciated. Man I like the 261hp cant wait for 300 ..
Old 12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Try gmpartsdirect.com. Their price is $455.If possible find a dealer who has done an installation before.2 hrs labor should do it.Getting mine done when my new SS arrives.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Gm parts direct is pretty good but you get hammered on shipping. What color did you order? Fun car!!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM

Congratulations on your SS and your Christmas present, However, you're asking the same question many bay area SS owners are asking. I don't know if the Sac. area Chev dealers have been canvassed yet or not. I personally bought my SS from Maita Chev in Elk Grove and they seemed to be a can-do outfit but, since they're 100 mi. from my home have not had any further dealings. It wouldn't hurt to try them. I had my stage one done at F.H.Dailey in San Leandro and yes, it did take 5 1/2 hours to install.I don't want to pop your balloon but, you're not going to get 300hp from the stage one. Most of the guys that have dyno'd are posting numbers under the 290hp promised by GM. None the less it will still be enough to put a grin on your face.GM says 1.5 hours is enough to install so with that info. I'd say shop but, don't expect to find a dealer with much experience with these kits. Good Luck
Old 12-19-2009, 10:11 PM

Looks like we're in the same boat.
I live in the Bay Area[Hayward to be exact], and I too was considering the satge 1 kit, until I checked around and I mean all around the area, and best price I could get was, kit: $480.00 Labor: $400-450.00 for a total of around $850.00.
I'm now going to get the Trifeca tune, after the first of the year, at half the price and more H.P. and torque. Don't feel like coughing up $850.00 for the stage 1 tune,[that some guys have had problems with, and not the H.P. advertised].
Check around the Sac. area, and let us know what you find out.
Seems the dealers around here, have already done one, and found out it's more labor than they thought, and others don't want to mess with it. Good luck. "Moon"
Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

I purchased mine almost a year ago from CrateEngineDepot.com for $500 and had it installed at my local dealer for around $120 if I remember right. 1 hour of labor.

Best money you can spend for your SS hands down.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:30 PM

You might find a kit on E-Bay that's cheaper but Crate Engine Depot is most reliable and trustworthy. The price went down to $485.05 and shipping is around $12.95.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...0-P2292C0.aspx
Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 PM

I also recommend Crateenginedepot.com. I was lucky enough to be local and have them install it too because like the starter of this post my dealer gave me funny looks when I asked them about the part and I had the part number and the print out of how to install it. After being told that the part was on backorder a couple times I took the recommendation of calling the dealership (Rockenbach Chevy) that runs the crate engine depot site and they were professional and polite and did a great job.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:28 AM

I had mine done at John L Sullivan Chevy in Roseville. It seemed like mine was the 1st they had done at the time. So it took them longer than planned but they stuck with the original quote of 1.5-2hrs labor. I am happy with the work they did and have had no problems since the upgrade, about 10k on the stage 1. I had bought it as well from Crateenginedepot.com. as they don't ream you on shipping.

Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM

I went to Chevy's page and did a search for local dealers in the area here on the other side of the US. All the dealers seemed to be goodwrench and gm certified however the performance dealers seemed to be the most knowledgeable and not just dumb rednecks with a wrench in their hand and grease on their face. Try that over there and best of luck to ya.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade Kit