Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Surging at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:19 PM

Surging at Idle

Ill look more tomorrow for answeres but I’m exhausted for today.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum. "exhausted" - LOL

Ok, how about some tips and hints on the status:
- is the Check Engine Light on?
- have you hooked up a OBDII code reader to see if there are any codes pending etc.?
- when was the last tune-up (air filter, spark plugs)?
- how many miles on the car?
- were there any recent repairs/adjustments done?
- has the throttle body been cleaned lately?
- has this been a daily driver, or is it just being pulled out of storage?
- when was the last oil and filter changed?
- how many miles on the current oil/filter?

It really is dirty on the outside and especially in the engine compartment - which kinda leads me to believe that maintenance has been a bit lacking. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Technical Moderator

Blown head gasket? Lots of water in the exhaust lots of carbon on the tail pipe rusty replacement muffler.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Yes there is quite a bit of water that’s coming out the pipe when it does the surging. Is that indicative of blown head gasket?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Erik Hendrickson
Yes there is quite a bit of water that’s coming out the pipe when it does the surging. Is that indicative of blown head gasket?
Not necessarily. Only when it is surging? Is it overheating? Is it going thru coolant needing to be topped up frequently? Is the oil murky and over full due to water in it?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Technical Moderator

Is coolant disappearing at an alarming rate, is the upper radiator hose collapsed in the morning/when cold?

That seems to not be a 2006, it has no surge tank. In fact, it looks exactly like my old 2008.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Erik, you sound like a younger guy (wild guess) like myself. Have you looked into the above mentioned maintenance? Check the plugs, air filter, throttle body, etc? You sould frustrated too, but dont fret. Even if you arent used to working on cars, the HHR is very easy to work with. The only thing that makes it look difficult is because of the giant air box, underneath there its very forgiving and livable. The engine compartment looks pretty rusted, even up to the hose clamp for the surge tank for coolant. How long have you owned the car?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't see a surge tank, that's why I question the year stated.

"Steam cleaning" under the hood causes lots of corrosion, especially the aluminum and steel bits.

Here is my guess about "why does it do it for no reason": The EVAP purge valve opening and closing as it should. And never got any answer about codes.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 PM

I’ve had it for about a month now.
It has ~150k on it.

As stated in the video description, which no one seems to be reading, it’s only a P0300 Random Engine Misfire. I am a mechanic, no fear. I’ve had two pro mechanics look at it and do tests and they are lost as well.

I know where Evap valve is...should I replace?

I will check coolant level/color and oil level/color and post pics tomorrow, too cold out there right now.

I’ve put in quite a bit of work and $ already so I won’t give up on it. Going to be my primary dedicated work vehicle.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

FYI - most of us just will look at the embedded video here and not necessarily go to the youtube web site. So FYI - most of us would not have seen the other info that would have helped that you posted on the youtube site.

this is the info missing from the above:
Published on Mar 18, 2018

Trying to figure out what is causing this to happen in my car. We have replaced:
MAP, MAF, Crankshaft Sensor, Throttle Body, Pedal Sensor, Computer, Oil change and filter, Trans fluid change and filter, air filter, coil, and ICM.

Getting code P0300 Random Engine Misfire.

Fuel pressure tests fine. Compression tests fine. New battery. Checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner spray method and can’t find any on any lines, air box or intake manifold.

I’ve also cleaned off the ground contacts, battery terminals and fuse box leads. Have run 3+ bottles of Sea Foam through gas tank.

It doesn’t have an IAC valve. Does have an EVAP valve sensor from the gas tank...could that be it???
All new injectors???
O2 sensors???
Timing chain issue???

Doesn’t make sense to me any more.

Quick Reply: Surging at Idle