Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Update to my earlier post. The only code it was throwing was a P2128, presumably related to the Engine Power Reduced thing (though I couldn't find any damage to the wiring loom).

So, it seems that you folks were right - it's the motor. I'll give the dealer a call, tomorrow, to ask for a freebie, but I strongly suspect that I'll be ordering a new motor myself, immediately after the phone call.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks
My wifes 08 HHR is starting to show the Power Steering problem. I am going to read codes this weekend..but pretty sure what going on from reading all the threads here. (Thanks)

So..GM GIANT here I come
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM

No freebie, so I ordered the part. $77.10 isn't too bad and it doesn't look that hard to replace.

I'll be saving my receipt, though.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Same here..ordering the 19257875..
Spent as few absolutely moron minutes with Watson Chevrolet parts..telling me
1. "It has a Pump." I said actually it's an electric motor..
2. "Oh no..can't see it" "You need the entire steering column the pump is not replaceable.." "There is no such part #"
3. O Reilly Chevrolet already quoted me $117 for the motor KIT..#19257875. Out of stock so they referred me to Watson..
4. "I don't show it. There is just the column.. There is no removable pump. You must buy the entire column..what's your name?"

Inept..or worse..
Good bye..

Looks like easy install of the "pump"..lol
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM

To be fair to my local Chevy House, the chap that I spoke with knew exactly which part I needed, didn't try to dissuade me from buying it online and reassured me that fitting it would be a fairly simple task.

For once, I find myself siding with a dealership. Although they originally sold the car, it wasn't to me. I bought it used and, indeed, have never bought a car directly from them. It would be very hard (if not impossible) to make a business case for them personally eating the cost of replacing it.

OTOH, I strongly believe that GM should eat the cost - especially as they've recalled the same motor in the Cobalt and the Canadian HHR. The business case there is clear - although the wife loves her HHR, we've agreed that once I've fixed it up, we're going to sell or trade it in and buy something from a company that stands behind its products. A Honda, or another Toyota, or something. Guess which company's cars we won't be buying in the future?

Edited to add: However, I'm probably going to want to hang out here for a while longer, until I get the above accomplished. I truly am grateful for all the help and advice that I've received in my short time here and will refrain from ranting. :)

Last edited by roberttx; 08-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM

new power steering motor

Having identical symptoms concerning power steering. Will start with a new motor I guess.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM

problems with power steering

Power steering light keeps coming on, and starting to get worse. Chevy needs to step up!!!!! Car has only 48,000 miles
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

It's under warranty isn't it being a 2010? Take it to the dealer - no problem.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
It's under warranty isn't it being a 2010? Take it to the dealer - no problem.
Sadly here in the US after 36K miles you only have the "powertrain" warranty, and i would put a bit of money they wont cover it (we had a VVT solenoid fail in a previous GM and had to pay for it)
Old 09-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, right on - not covered by the powertrain warranty. Well, at least it's a cheap and easy fix to do in the driveway. I think someone posted a while bact that the VVT solenoids are covered under the drivetrain warranty now (but I might be wrong on that ).

Quick Reply: Power Steering cutting out but fuses OK - still the motor?