General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Resetting check engine light.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Resetting check engine light.

Does anyone how to reset the light? My girlfriend drove home from the gas station with the the cap off and triggered the light. I dont want to go to the dealer to reset it! I'm very busy all the time (just like everyone). And it seems like every trip there is an all day experience..
Old 05-22-2006, 08:30 PM

I have heard that on other vehicles, if that happens, just put the cap back on and after several engine starts, several days, or some such, it will go away.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Founding Member

There is info in the owners manual regarding that issue! Heck if I remember what it said, I know it's there though!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by caddytruck
Does anyone how to reset the light? My girlfriend drove home from the gas station with the the cap off and triggered the light. I dont want to go to the dealer to reset it! I'm very busy all the time (just like everyone). And it seems like every trip there is an all day experience..
Mike is right: on the HHR, you just reinstall the cap and drive it 50-75 miles. The computer will reset itself, saving you a trip to the dealer and $$$ for a code clear.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 PM

It happened to me and the dealer said after 10 starts of the engine it will go away and did!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 AM

If you happen to have the new CAN OBD code reader, you would be able to reset it within a few minutes...

Stop by , and I'll do it for you..
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Only one problem; by the time he got there from Ohio - it would be reset already! What a waste of gas that would be.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:04 PM

I have the new locking gas cap and my check gas cap light came on today and then the check engine light came on and will not go off. Will disconnecting the battery fix this problem? Or should I just drive it until it goes off...hoping it's nothing else? HELP!!!

PS...I put the old gas cap back on for now. Guess I didn't have it on securely when I put gas in it the last time and it worked itself loose.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I have the new locking gas cap and my check gas cap light came on today and then the check engine light came on and will not go off. Will disconnecting the battery fix this problem? Or should I just drive it until it goes off...hoping it's nothing else? HELP!!!

PS...I put the old gas cap back on for now. Guess I didn't have it on securely when I put gas in it the last time and it worked itself loose.
Same thing happened to me and my new locking gas cap.I just shut the engine off, unlocked and removed the cap, put the cap back on and locked it. Its been fine for about a week now. Only difference is, my check engine light did not come on.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb

Deb FYI I have the same locking cap as you and have had it on a month now and no problem with the check gas cap message or check engine light. I do not run my tank below half. How low was your tank when it came on? Maybe mine would come on if I ran it lower.

But maybe you have another issue. I think if I were you I would run it in for a diagnostic in case it is purely conincidental to you having the different fuel cap. Not sure I would want to drive it as much as is apparently needed to get the light to shut off when triggered by the gas cap if I was not positive it was caused by the cap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Resetting check engine light.