Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How long can i drive if I need my control arm looked at?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:51 AM

How long can i drive if I need my control arm looked at?

I'm pretty sure the bushings on my passenger side control arm are done for. It's only been AGGRESSIVELY clunky for the past couple days... but of course, it's labor day weekend and my mechanic is closed till Tuesday. I have an appointment for that afternoon, but I was wondering how dangerous, if at all, it is to drive with the bushings being this nasty?

For reference, it clunks (and sometimes creaks) over any bump or slightly uneven road. I can push the passenger side tire and it moves about an inch and a half and creaks. And yesterday I looked behind the wheel, and one of the bushings was legitimately tearing.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Technical Moderator

How much do you value your tires? How much do you value your life? How much do you value the lives of others?

If they are what is actually clunking they are more than torn. They are what gives you control of the direction of the car. The best test is to put the car in park, wheels straight ahead; push the top of the tire towards the rear of the car. If there is a lot of movement, more than transmission slack; they are bad and that is how much play there is in the steering.

All that being said; there are lots of people that ignore problems like that and still live.

I would not drive it more than I had to.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
How much do you value your tires? How much do you value your life? How much do you value the lives of others?

If they are what is actually clunking they are more than torn. They are what gives you control of the direction of the car. The best test is to put the car in park, wheels straight ahead; push the top of the tire towards the rear of the car. If there is a lot of movement, more than transmission slack; they are bad and that is how much play there is in the steering.

All that being said; there are lots of people that ignore problems like that and still live.

I would not drive it more than I had to.
I'm not gojng to. I have somewhere to be Monday evening about 12 miles away, and then I have to drive to and from work Tuesday (20 each way) other than that I'm taking it easy.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:12 AM

This is what I'm looking at on the passenger side.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Technical Moderator

I would park it at the shop. That is more than torn.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I would park it at the shop. That is more than torn.
Like I said, I unfortunately need it to get to and from work on Tuesday before I bring it in. I'll get a Lyft to my thing Monday night, but work isn't optional, especially if I'm about to spend on this fix :/. I appreciate your advice, I'm sorry I can't immediately take it.

It's amazing how one little piece of rubber can cause such a ruckus.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Administrator

The old rubber bushing on the left
It’ll come out like this, in two pieces
Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

The old rubber bushing on the left
It’ll come out like this, in two pieces
I remember seeing that picture in another post. I really wish I could do this myself but I don't have the parts or tools. Alternatively I really wish I could've gotten it fixed this weekend, but no one in my area is open past like noon on Saturday, or open at all Sunday. I might call around tomorrow, but labor day might make that hard. Like I said, my mechanic is closed tomorrow for sure, and obviously he's my #1 choice. Other than taking it to work Tuesday, I have no other stress to put it through until it gets looked at.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Reporting back! Both control arms got replaced, and the clunk is totally gone.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Right on!

Quick Reply: How long can i drive if I need my control arm looked at?