SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

"Service ESC" message

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Hey Guys,

I have been Sarcastically Chuckling as I read all these posts.

This happened to me last week as my wife and I were eating our special for the day Bag Lunch and looking out over Puget Sound Enjoying all the glory of the Blue Skies, Washington Ferry Boats and Mt Rainier in the background.
It was a little cool so I had the motor idling with the heater on low and then all of a sudden .. up it poped on the DIC display
Service ESC and something about traction Control.
6 HHR's and never saw that before.....
My 1rst thought was .. boy am I glad it's still under B to B Warranty.
Then my wife who doesn't pretend to know anything about this kind of stuff says ... Let take a look in the Owners Manual.

I said Nah this is something serious for the Tech's to figure out.
So we continued to eat and enjoy but she started looking at the manual and flipping pages.
It actually started getting on my nerves so I was just going to say .. Put that thing away and I'll take care of this when she blurped out, Maybe this could be it ??
I Growlingly said Whats it Say?
She said it says that if you turn your Traction Control Off the computer will at random notify you there is a problem by flashing the ESC message.
She said it does that because it is recommended you leave Traction Control on all the time unless there is a good reason to turn it off.
This reminds me of that Great Movie My Cousin Vinnie !! with Joe Pechi

Well you know I said the other day I was cleaning the dash and I accidentally hit the Traction Control rocker switch. The only reason I know that is the message came on the DIC that said "Traction Control Off"
I remember that at that moment I wondered if I should turn it back on or not but got busy finishing my cleaning chore and did not change that position from off.
The message did not appear till 2days later.
Anyhow I restarted the car and turned the Traction Control back on.
Now one thing that made me wonder why this happened is that I expected an internal lite to appear in the dash rocker switch showing the trac control was on, but there is no lite in either position. You have to look on the DIC dispaly to know which position it is in.

Bottom line .... I have not had the ESC warning since.

P.S. I am very busy now eating CROW.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 10-27-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Silverfox - that was a great read - many thanks - LOL - that made my day. Next time, you will listen to the lady I am sure. Take care

Ps: agree on the great day here in the pacific northwest - 55deg F and sunshine. Can't beat it. (Outside of Lake Stevens Wa.)

- Whopper - :-)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Deceased

Thanks for the chuckle SF, the youngsters here will get to know that sinking "I did a dumb" feeling more as the years catch up with them.

I'm still hearing about the quart of Mobil 1 that my wife found in the fridge last month, and the "Cheerios" incident of 2007 when I filled the cat bowls with people food, and then wondered why my cereal smelled like cat food....and tasted like beef.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

"and tasted like beef" -
Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Had the same problem with my 2010 it has 210,000 on it
Changed both tps;s on the van..fixed the problem
Old 05-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Technical Moderator

Before you start throwing money around; did you Google?

You might give this one a read: http://www.g8board.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-49991.html
That was ONLY the first result.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just had this "Service ESC" message, along with the traction light and the ABS light come on. I did have the shocks and struts replaced last week. I didn't have any braking or pulling when it happened. Could they have messed with a plug or dislodged a sensor?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by lilricky
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just had this "Service ESC" message, along with the traction light and the ABS light come on. I did have the shocks and struts replaced last week. I didn't have any braking or pulling when it happened. Could they have messed with a plug or dislodged a sensor?
Yes.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yes.
Ok, deserved that. Let me rephrase, what plug or sensor could have been possibly been disturbed?
Old 11-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Technical Moderator

The wheel speed sensors are a part of the hubs, the connector and the wires are in the work area.

Quick Reply: "Service ESC" message