Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

"Engine Disabled" & "Eng Pwr Reduced"

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:49 PM

Why can't they just get a battery at Kragens and give your car back???

I think you should jack them up for giving you a jacked up battery..
Old 10-27-2006, 06:53 PM

I know!!! I just called them... and a gal said, "Oh, they didn't call you back yet?... lemme run back there and check. I'll call you back." Lee dee dee... whoa is me! Oops, they just called back... gonna pick up my baby... WHOOHOO!!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by da_loca
Update... dealership says after doing a full diagnostics check, they found out that the battery had a bad cell. They're waiting for a new one and will clear the DIC messages and hopefully, I will be able to pick up my baby before closing today!

Unfortunately, I don't have towing on my insurance policy, so no chance of getting any moolah back that way. I think I should be reimbursed for any out of pocket expenses, seeing as I was given a new car with a jacked up battery... dontcha think?
I had a very similar problem with the '99 GMC Pickup we traded in for the HHR last year. My Wife went to the Post Office and when she went to leave it was dead. I went over and jump started it from my car. It ran for about 30 Ft. and died again. I jumped it again and it ran for another 30 Ft. or so, then sputtered and died again. We were still in the P.O. parking lot so we figured we 'd better play it safe and called AAA for a tow to the Chevy Dealer where we had bought it. It turned out to be a dead cell in the battery, An AC/Delco battery that was only a few months old!!
Since the battery was practically new I never suspected that as the cause
I guess a failing battery can cause all kinds of strange behavior in a vehicle!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Hmm... I wonder if they replaced mine with the same battery brand. Well, I'm just happy it's home now! As for the out of pocket money spent during that whole escapade, the service rep gave me Chevrolet's Customer Assistance number and said to explain the situation... $60 for tow mileage overage, $60 for friend's cabfare, and they may be able to do something for me. I'll keep you posted as to how much "assistance" they will actually provide.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:28 PM

I work at the Road Commission and G.M. has had a recall on a.c delco batteries and we had to change all of them in our cars due to the battery cable screw mounts coming loose and screwing up the battery.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:29 PM

they won't charge
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Well that sucks for whoever doesn't know about the recall. I'm registered on the GM site and under their "Recalls" section, they don't list it. So it seems to me they're only willing to replace whoever's gets jacked up, "when" it gets jacked up. What a bunch o' hooey!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:09 PM

That is really jacked up....hopefully, my battery does not take a dump...(knock on wood)..I suppose you ought to be glad that you did not try to jump start your car, as there were a few cases where the whole car got Zapped from incorrect jumping, and required much, much more things to fix.
(Not trying to Hi-JACK this thread.....)
Old 10-28-2006, 01:04 AM

Yeah, good thing we did NOT try to get a jump... we figured it had something to do with the Anti-Theft device. Another member pm'd me that there is a lot # that is bad from the manufacturer... now, which lot # ?... I dunno! I did email AC Delco asking them that particular question... who knows if they will answer. Let's pray that yours isn't from that particular batch! Amen!

As for the money reimbursement, I honestly thought I was making progress with Chevy Customer Assistance, because I was given a service request number... then the rep comes back on the line and says his supervisor says I need to take it up with Roadside Assistance. What the heck, $120 is $120, so I'm going to send in the receipts of my expenditures with an explanation and hope that they will take pity on my poor soul.. haha.

Another thing, with this replaced battery.. car seems to have a lil' more 'oomph!!' ... maybe it's just my imagination...
Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 AM

don't they have sealed batteries? how would they tell if a cell is bad if you can't open it?

Quick Reply: "Engine Disabled" & "Eng Pwr Reduced"