"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Replace Antenna Base

Old 10-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Replace Antenna Base

I recently had to replace the antenna base on my 2009 LT. The radio and cables were tested good so the base was the only unknown. The symptoms were: Squealing noise with weak or no signal on AM and no sound or signal at all on FM. This happened overnight with no warning. One night it worked, the next morning it didn't. I ordered the part from Amazon for $42.00 and here are the steps for replacement (sorry, I didn't take pictures).
1. Disconnect the negative cable on the battery and wait 15 to 20 minutes (Airbags)
2. Remove both of the sun visors and clips (Torx #20 I believe). Remove the mirror (same torx for set screw)
3. Pry off the covers on the pillar covers labeled "Airbag" (if equipped with side airbags) and remove the 7mm screw that holds the trim in place. Pull the plastic trim out then up, then carefully disconnect the speaker wire (if equipped).
4. Carefully ease the headliner down in the front being careful to disengage it from the rubber trim over the doors. With the headliner released back to the rear of the front doors, you will have enough room to remove the antenna base. You will have to gently hold the headliner while removing the base. A stubby ratchet handle or palm handle used with a short extension will work best for this. Space is tight
5. Disconnect the two wires from the base (Antenna Cable and power wire for the amplifier).
6. Remove 10mm bolt from the antenna base (it is inside the round cutout in the inside roof panel). There will also be an aluminum (split) washer like piece that will come out too.
7. Carefully work the antenna base from the square hole in the roof (you may want to unscrew the antenna mast before doing this).
8. DO NOT REMOVE THE 10mm bolt from the base, us it just as it arrives. Gently work the new base through the square hole by feeding the wires first, then wiggling the bolt through the hole. There is a tapered aluminum washer on the tapered bolt. This will deform to hold the base in place when the bolt is tightened. You can tighten it only once! After that you will have to get a new base, since I couldn't find a replacement for just the washer. It will also help to have another person to hold the base in place while you tighten the bolt. If no one is available, a large bag of rice, beans, sand or something moldable and heavy will work. Place it very carefully, on the roof, over the base. Be careful to not press too hard when tightening the bolt and push the base up and out of the square hole. Do not over tighten the bolt, check it occasionally. Once the new mount is solid and snug against the roof, you are done. Reconnect the two wires from the base.
9. Work the headliner into the rubber trim around both doors and replace the pillar trim, sun visors and mirror.
10. Re connect the battery. Try the radio. If it works, you are done. If there is still no signal, the radio panel flashes slowly, and the "Key in the ignition with the drivers door open" alarm is not dinging, one of the wires is probably loose. Check the antenna cable down the pillar and behind the glove box (there is a connector there), and the power wire in the roof.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 AM

A great description for the replacement.

I hate messing with the Headliner. Best to Go Slow and pay attention.

On a side note I remember when Amazon was just starting and all the experts were saying it would Fail....

Now they sell most everything and Jeff Baby is a Billionaire.

SF
Old 10-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Good write-up. Thanks for the contribution to the forum. I'll move it to the How-To section.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Deceased

Great job Bookman257!

Thanks for such a super contribution to the Site!
Old 10-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Nice work, I would have just finished that job and realized Dang I forgot to take pictures !! So , I fully understand!
But it's fixed you eloquently explained how to do it, awesome contribution to the forum!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 PM

Sorry, No pictures

As anyone that has done this repair would note, It's hard to hold a camera when you're trying to hold the headliner with one hand and spin a wrench with another. I tried holding it in my mouth, but all I got was a picture of Tonsils. I hope the description works for everybody.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Works for me! Makes a nice how to sticky!