Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

General question about servicing the vehicle..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Talking General question about servicing the vehicle..

Question guys..Is it true that the 2009 HHR had a 30K service that needs to be perfomed. I looked in the manual and it talks about a 50K service but nothing related to 30,000 Miles.

Also I was advice by someone at the dealer to make sure all the oil changes or anything that I am doing to this car make sure is done by the dealer or anyone who can provide some sort of receipt so if anything fails with the engine I have a reputable shop to back me up. I am used to doing almost anything to my cars myself but at the same time I do not want them to give me a hard time if the engine fails and they do not want to honor my power terrain coverage. Let me know..

thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Following the maintenance schedule outlined in your Owners Manual WILL keep your car under warranty. Anything else suggested by the dealer is extra......at your discretion.....if it is SERVICE and not repair.

As suggested, keeping receipts is a good idea, even if you do the labor yourself. The documented evidence May help with a warranty claim. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

For me, I created a spreadsheet type report and insert ANY maintenance/repair indicating the date and mileage (I found the "notes" section in the rear of the Owners Book kind of limited. A folder with all the receipts, with notes, is kept on each vehicle.

In addition, two of my current vehicles have On Star, and I subscribe (free) to the monthly diagnostic report. I keep a copy of this as well (Note: I sell ALL of my vehicles privately and on previous vehicles, potential and new owners are very impressed with these records).

A REASONABLE amount of mechanical competency will USUALLY be acceptable in place of an certified facility or dealer repair.....depending on the complexity of the claim.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Snoopy.. I bought the car at 37,000 miles on it.. I did get the carfax report and it said somethign about lubbing and tire mounting and oil chage at 33,000 so should I worry about doing the 30K service on the car?

Let me know

John
Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Don't have to get oil changes at the Dealer. Sometime back in the 80's there was a ruling passed that if oil changes and tune ups etc. had to be completed by the Dealer or must use Dealer parts to stay within warrantee they must either perform the service and parts for free, or provide the customer with the parts for free for self install. Just keep your records and reciepts.

THERE WAS ALSO THIS IN 1975-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Mike

Last edited by BlackknighT; 05-18-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone.. I just went to the dealer looks like the previous owner of my car took care of the 30K service he just left out the break flush... It funny cause they said that I needed to do the Power Steering service.. I read in this forum the P/S on HHR are electric and I told the guy and he was shocked he was like hmmm hmmm hmmm.. Yeah you are right my bad yeah you only need the break flush... LOL

John
Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Many dealers do a bit more than is necessary on service..At 50K miles the dealer said the car needed a transmissin service, (Flush the trannie) They did it, but the manual said it should be done at 100K unless heavy duty driving.
Now I'm getting email notes telling me that 60K mile service is needed. I have my local mechanic check the car out. The only thing I had him do was change out spark plugs (a 100K service) but my last car with 100K spark plugs, I had issues with the plugs. BTW the "old" plugs looked good, so it was probably not a necessary change.
I change the oil myself once the DIC say to.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 PM

I do everything myself... The Lumina hasn't been to the dealer since I bought it in '06, and honestly I couldn't tell you when the truck was at the dealer...probably when the original owner had it...

I've often wondered if they could get me for something like that, but I figure the HHR only has 1 year left in powertrain warranty anyways.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM

So guys can you anyone shed some light here. Do I or do I not need the break flush done in my car at 30K? I looked in the manual and it said nothing about 30K. It only talks about 50K but its mainly Oil and air filter and if in heavy driving go ahead and do the trainny flush... Also my car was previously a rental should I go with Schedule I that is for cars that where used heavy duty or should I keep it on Schedule II and give it service that no heavy duty driving was done in the car? Any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

John
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 AM

With a used rental...... I would treat it as first as if it was heavy duty usage "just in case".... Some of those rentals can get driven hard but there's no way to tell..... Rental fleets are maintained well, usually, but best to be on the safe side.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM

Ok cool I will do schedule I then and treat "Blackie" like a prince...

thanks

John

Quick Reply: General question about servicing the vehicle..