Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Pal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM

Pal

Hi
I know there are other PAL threads but they are somewhat dated and I can't seem to find an answer to my question so I thought I'd try a new thread.
I had a PAL installed at my dealer on my 08 SS. It doesn't seem to want to work and so far they haven't found the problem. The system doesn't seem to recognize that the iPod is connected. I had this sudden thought... I use a MAC and the iPod is naturally formated for the MAC system. Is anyone else out there using PAL with a MAC formatted iPod? what I'm wondering is if the PAL is set up to read Windows formatted iPods only? I haven't seen anything about that and it would seem rather stupid since Apple is the one that developed the iPod but Detroit has done some pretty stupid things in the past so??? Anyone have an answer???
I'm running this on other Forums also.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Is it the GM PAL? Do you have XM?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 AM

I just installed a PAL in my 08 SS. IMHO the device is NOT ready for public release. Lots of quirky behavior. For example, unless you allow the IPOD to play first then XM will randomly switch from the channel you are playing to X0 for a split sec then back to the channel. Drop outs is another way to explain it. Cycling thru the bands twice will usually fix the problem but not always. Sometimes 4 times is required.

Music:podcasts tells me there are no podcats which is not true. The user interface is very clunky and takes some time to get used to.

I did the install and the dealer did the PAL flash update at no charge.

I realize none of that answers your question but based on that it wouldn't surprise me if a MAC formated unit was not recognized. A few things to check thou, what model IPOD as early ones are not supported and is it updated with the latest updates from Apple? Does your IPOD work with other devices such as a potable radio where the IPOD connector is used? It's possible your connector is bad.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ltetons@gmail.com
Hi

Anyone have an answer???
I'm running this on other Forums also.
As far as I know, the only IPOD that will not work with PAL is the "New Ipod Classic". Have you tried an IPOD that was set up on a windows platform? At least that would tell you if the PAL is not working at all or if it is your IPOD.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM

FWIW, the FAQ section of the manual that came with my PAL states the following:

Which models of IPod are compatible with PAL?

PAL supports all IPod generations currently available from Aplle which feature the docking connector

My 160GB New Classic works fine with the PAL. (My XM still acts a bit flaky but IPod use is perfect.)

Last edited by rommer; 03-10-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
Yes it's a GM PAL.
I have two iPods, a 3rd Generation and a 5th Generation. Both are MAC formated, and I don't know anyone with a Windows iPod.
According to the manual ALL iPods with dock connectors are supposed to be compatible.
According to the Dealer I have the correct type Radio (XM Compatible).
I haven't checked to see what the designation on the radio is, but was concerned about PAL usage and had them check it out for me before I ordered the car.
The Mechanic spent 45 min on the phone with GM yesterday and he was told that they had told him wrong the first time on the hookup. They are now waiting for a new PAL unit from GM.
I have to assume the Unit got fried from being hooked up wrong.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ltetons@gmail.com
Hi
Thanks for the replies.
The Mechanic spent 45 min on the phone with GM yesterday and he was told that they had told him wrong the first time on the hookup. They are now waiting for a new PAL unit from GM.
I have to assume the Unit got fried from being hooked up wrong.
Sorry to hear that they fried the unit when installing. But glad to hear that it will be fixed when the new PAL arrives. I was going to drive by the inlaws and try theirs since they used the MAC to load the IPOD. You saved me from a boring evening. Hope the wife doesn't read this.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM

Sorry Tim but there is a difference between a Mac formated version and a PC formatted version. A MAC can read EITHER type but the Mac will do an initial format of an IPod using the MAC filesystem format. A PC can ONLY read a PC formatted version.

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61672 for more details.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM

I have the 80 GIG video ipod and mine is MAC formatted and works fine with my PAL. My only problem is I have almost 40 gig of music and it takes awhile to find things. I just bought a 4gig nano and will be formatted with my PC. When I set it up I will let you know how it works.

John
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM

I have the 4 gig Nano and it works fine--but my HHR came with the PAL already installed and I didn't want the XM, so don't know if that made a difference.

It does take a little getting used to--the interface can be funky and I occasionally have to unplug it like a 'reboot' (I leave it in the car). It is best to set up what you want to hear before you drive as it can be a pain to find what you want to hear while driving. Also, remember that if you have the steering wheel buttons, you need to hold them just a smidgen longer then just a tap to get it to switch to the next track--if not, it will switch to radio, but you can just switch it back to the XM1 and you are good to go again.

Hope that made sense